4 Core VPS Quick Question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
blood2k
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

4 Core VPS Quick Question

Post by blood2k »

Hey there all, I'm setting up my 4 core VPS and I don't necessarily know how many 1.6 servers I will run.. I do understand 1 core per 1 server is "ideal"

But let me ask you guys something in relation to assigning cores per server and setting priority level

a What's technically better? Assigning 2 cores for 1.6 server of 32 players at a high priority? or maybe even REALTIME?

b Or just having it on 1 core with high priority or maybe even realtime?

I only need this VPS box to run 2 1.6 servers but I would like to run them both at maximum ability for best game play I could possible achieve

I'm already using -pingboost 2

c and I followed a tutorial on tweaking the kernel but it seems to only output 900-950 FPS it NEVER hits 1000, and ofcourse even with myself ONLY in the server the FPS is jumping from 850 to 950 ranges.. can anyone help me with all of these things?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: 4 Core VPS Quick Question

Post by Edge100x »

a. It is usually best to let the OS choose where to place the processes.
b. You should consider running them with chrt to reduce timer slack and keep the FPS high. We have an example command line in viewtopic.php?f=67&t=4545.
c. If you use chrt to make them run with high priority, that will allow you to achieve a higher and more stable FPS. You should avoid following 3rd party tutorials for tweaking the kernel, because the ones that I have seen that claim to be tailored for game servers make changes that actually hurt performance. Due to changes in the kernel and in HLDS over the years, modern kernels are actually very good for running those servers right out of the box*, and it is much easier to update and maintain your server if you use a stock kernel.

* We make several adjustments to our custom kernel internally to improve performance for game servers, but these are code changes and not simple tweaks.
blood2k
New to forums
New to forums

Post by blood2k »

Thanks for that,

So I'm currently running it without assigning as specific core.. and I have have the priority set to "high"

Which on "Open Game Panel" is a Nice level of anywhere from -15 to -18 , -19 being "Realtime"

my launch options:
screen -AmdS servertest chrt -r 20 -game cstrike -pingboost 2

sys_ticrate 10000

My output after fresh install and being up for like a minute.. with only me in there

] rcon stats
CPU In Out Uptime Users FPS Players
0.00 5.58 5.67 2 1 957.56 1

] rcon stats
0.00 5.62 5.63 2 1 906.56 1

] rcon stats
0.00 5.61 5.63 2 1 856.97 1

] rcon stats
0.00 5.55 5.64 2 1 954.94 1
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you look at the server in "top", what do you see as its priority ("PR") value there? It should show with a negative "PR" value there if it's being run as a real-time process.

You can also change the "nice" level if you wish, but that shouldn't be necessary, since real-time processes are already serviced ahead of any standard process (a priority of -19 also doesn't make a standard process into a real-time one, so you don't have to worry about that).

Have you tried -pingboost 1?

Are you running the very latest HLDS release?

What is the distribution that you are running? I recommend the latest Ubuntu LTS or latest Debian. CentOS should be avoided, generally.