4-core unmanaged VPS/VDS hlds settings (Ubuntu)

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
wobinu
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

4-core unmanaged VPS/VDS hlds settings (Ubuntu)

Post by wobinu »

Hello there! I've read alot of different threads here about sys_tickrate and rates settings for Linux (Ubuntu) but i cant manage to get the ping stable when there are players on my cs 1.6 servers. Right now i got 3 servers with the same settings and 16/14 slots only. I want the servers to stay on a high fps and have stable ping. I read that you recommended those rates:

sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxrate 100000
sv_minupdaterate 120
sv_minupdaterate 120

I have set sys_ticrate 2000

Startup line:
chrt -r 20 ./hlds_run -game cstrike +ip xxxx +port xxxx +maxplayers 16 +map xxxxx -pingboost 2

Is there anything I have done wrong or what would you recommend guys?

All answers is appreciated!

Best regards,

Robin
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: 4-core unmanaged VPS/VDS hlds settings (Ubuntu)

Post by Edge100x »

What sorts of FPS values are you seeing with "stats" output?

Are you running vanilla CS 1.6 (and not plugins or modifications such as dproto)? Some modifications reduce performance significantly.
wobinu
New to forums
New to forums

Post by wobinu »

CPU In Out Uptime Users FPS Players
5.33 5.84 6.73 5992 61 916.28 1

I'm not running vanilla. I got amxmodx and metamod installed too. The fps is around 800-900 mostly when i check. The servers are fine but the ping is not so stable so i think it have to do with my settings cause it's been the same since before I installed amxx. Do you think the rates and tickrate is fine?

Thanks again!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Those look like fine settings, yes.

That's such a high FPS that clients should be seeing very smooth gameplay, as long as it's relatively stable and isn't dipping (such as below 100).