eth0, eth1 Debian 9

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
3Fingers
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

eth0, eth1 Debian 9

Post by 3Fingers »

Hello, It seems Debian 9 changed the eth0/eth1 to enp1s0f0/enp1s0f1 and I have read some tutorials on how to change it back to eth0/eth1 if desired.

I would like to change them back to eth0/eth1. This is a dedicated machine.

I did notice on my VDS's running Debian9 it is eth0.

So I figured I would ask here...What is the best recommended way to change this. I don't want to break anything so looking for advice.

Thanks
3Fingers
New to forums
New to forums

Re: eth0, eth1 Debian 9

Post by 3Fingers »

After reading this article on Predictable Network Interface Names It seems that there are advantages to the new network interface names...

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... faceNames/

Just curious to NFO's input on this.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: eth0, eth1 Debian 9

Post by Edge100x »

The advantage of the new network renaming scheme comes into play when you have multiple interfaces that can go up and down, and you want to be able to have different settings for each one. For instance, on a Linux laptop, you might have a standard 802.11x interface, cellular wireless, and/or multiple network adapters, that you want to be able to plug and unplug, with all of their configuration information retained properly.

That's good thinking, but it doesn't apply to servers. With servers, you generally only have one type of interface, and one connection on that interface, and nothing about it should change while the server is running. The active connection should only change if you take the hard drive out and put it into another machine, or you sync the server's files to another machine -- and in either case, you actually want the adapter name and settings to be the same as they were originally.

So, internally, we disable the new interface renaming subsystem and keep the adapters as eth0, eth1, and so on. It makes our lives easier when we're imaging managed machines from a central copy, since we use different hardware platforms.

For your own Debian server, you make the call. But, it would most likely be simplest to let it stay as it comes set up -- the server will just keep working.