Multi-game dedicated server.

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
mtuska
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Multi-game dedicated server.

Post by mtuska »

So quick question, we are planning on picking up a dedicated server and plan to host a number of game servers off of it. Was wondering if it would be beneficial to create VPS's within the ubuntu OS or just to run them directly? We are planning on some source games and minecraft. Hardware isn't really my strong suit, so, hoping you guys can shine some light for me.
Just to be clear, I mean a NFO full dedicated server, not a VPS.
Thanks!
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Multi-game dedicated server.

Post by Vanderburg »

I wouldn't recommend running the game servers within VMs. You lose about 5-10% of performance in overhead from the hypervisor. You MIGHT consider running them as separate users if you REALLY want to, but even this isn't really necessary for most users, and it's a lot to manage.

If you want to run multiple servers of the same type using their default port, you'd want to consider a separate IP address for each game server. Otherwise, you'll need to run them each on different ports.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to go for a managed dedicated server? This allows you to just create game servers from the control panel and not have to worry about configuration like that at all, as it seems like you might enjoy.

However, if you are going to run it from a manual dedicated server, I would advise against virtualizing it as it will simply eat up extra resources but with little benefit, as Vanderburg has said above
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Also just realized this was from May 2018