How’s performance with a 20’ish slot 128 tick Source game on a VDS?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Prevent
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How’s performance with a 20’ish slot 128 tick Source game on a VDS?

Post by Prevent »

Hey guys, I heard great things about NFO and after spending some time (too long!) with a competitor I was wondering if anyone here is using a VDS to host a high-pop Source game at 128 tick? As I understand it, the “regular” gameserver rentals at NFO are 64 tick for Source games and a VDS is required for access to the launch params to set it to a higher tickrate.

I plan on hosting a 128 tick 24-slot Insurgency server but it shares enough in common with CSGO (so any input is welcome) so I was wondering what type of var I could come to expect when its populated? With my current provider its been moving around from 1.0-2.9 which just ruins the experience... at that point the gameplay is actually worse than 64 tick, so I’m looking for a change.

I’ve read on other forums that people have good experience with a similar setup using the 3-core/3GB plan here but they never give specifics about the var output from net_graph or anything. What seems “good” for them might be a little jittery for others without knowing any specifics.

Ive also heard conflicfing reports about Linux vs Windows when it comes to srcds although some of those posts are dated. Some recommend Linux for less overhead and how it generally is a great server OS, some say that srcds apparently will somewhat take advantage of another core on Windows whereas on Linux it wont (the way i understand it, games snd game servers typically are bound to single core performance anyway).

I personally have my eye on the 4-core/4GB plan, but can anyone help me out with any first hand experiences of what I could expect in general? I know NFO has a cool trial program in place for VDS’s but getting it stress tested within that timeframe would be difficult in Insurgency... sometimes my server is 24/24 for days at a time, other times it can be empty for half a week.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: How’s performance with a 20’ish slot 128 tick Source game on a VDS?

Post by Edge100x »

With CS:GO, I'd say that it would be worth a try with a Windows VDS. With Insurgency, though, it's hard to say. From what I've seen of Insurgency -- relatively little, to be honest -- usage can hard to predict. I've seen some 32 slot servers that use 40% average CPU and others that use 100%, and many of the seemingly lower-usage servers rapidly oscillate between 100% and 0%, which hurts performance similarly to just using 100% all the time.

More generally, Valve-engine games typically run best on Windows, and CS:GO has required a Windows host in order to use multiple threads to any significant degree (it offloads perhaps 25% of the total work to a second thread -- that's not insubstantial). I have not compared the behavior of any large CS:GO servers on Linux versus Windows recently, though, so I can't say if that is still the case. (And, Insurgency's developers might have done something differently anyhow.)
Prevent
New to forums
New to forums

Re: How’s performance with a 20’ish slot 128 tick Source game on a VDS?

Post by Prevent »

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll be doing some extra research into the Windows side of things... previously I was planning on using LinuxGSM to handle the automated restarts and that sorta thing.

Good thing is since my Desktop runs Windows I can test some stuff out locally. I already installed/ran a Ins server on Windows using SteamCMD previously so I’m almost there. Just a little more Googling and I’ll have the rest figured out.

Thanks again!