Virtual Server

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
setman
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Virtual Server

Post by setman »

Hey guys,

What's the size of a virtual server I should use for Arma 3?

Last ones I use to run years ago would cap out at 80 people.

Just don't know if the more cores the better.

Thanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Virtual Server

Post by Edge100x »

ArmA3 is somewhat multithreaded, but from what I have seen in the past, beyond 3 cores or so, it doesn't gain a whole lot, so I'd recommend starting with that. For a large server, it would be best to use a dedicated machine.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Virtual Server

Post by Caliban55 »

The performance of ArmA3 is highly depending on what kind of missions you intend to run and what mods you use, so a general recommendation of the server type is a bit difficult. ArmA 3 usually uses a single core with some spill-over to additional cores, so a high core number only helps you when you intend to run multiple servers. Though ArmA3 benefits from CPU speed, so you might want to look for a VDS/Dedocated server with a high CPU clock speed, if available.

An 80 player ArmA3 server is considered a extremly large and performance demanding server and unless it's a non-AI mission, you will run into performance issues (and maybe also with a pure PvP server) - especially if the mission and mods are not very well coded. For a server this size, you might want to look at a dedicated machine, not a VDS.