Routing home hosted game server traffic through VDS to hide home IP

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
GetParanoid
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Routing home hosted game server traffic through VDS to hide home IP

Post by GetParanoid »

Hello,

Wondering if anyone could possibly assist me / point me in the right direction.

I have a server at home that I host game servers on for friends, but I'm wanting to route all the server's traffic through my VDS I have hosted here. Why? Because I'd like to hide my IP from friends/anyone who joins the servers I host. (If this is even possible) I know this will increase latency, but my ping to the VDS is ~18ms on average.

I've done some googling and read that openVPN could be used to setup site-to-site routing. I've read here and it looks like it could work.

I understand how I could connect my home server to an OpenVPN server hosted on NFO, but how will the game server ports/traffic be forwarded? Does NAT take care of it or is there extra config needed in IPTables?

Should I look into a Reverse proxy instead? I feel openVPN could cause too much overhead encrypting everything.

Huge thanks in advance,
GP
3Fingers
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Routing home hosted game server traffic through VDS to hide home IP

Post by 3Fingers »

Why wouldn't you host the server on the vds instead of using it as a vpn? The ip would be the vds and not yours. Problem solved.
GetParanoid
New to forums
New to forums

Post by GetParanoid »

3Fingers wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:04 am Why wouldn't you host the server on the vds instead of using it as a vpn? The ip would be the vds and not yours. Problem solved.

My reasoning for this is that I'm only renting a 1core/1Gb VDS for a Teamspeak3/VPN server.

I have a pretty powerful Dedicated server at my home (8core, 38Gb) and a 1000/1000 Fiber line

I'd rather host my game-servers from my home server instead of paying to rent a full box every month.
Nightmare Night
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Nightmare Night »

So I read a little into the guide you linked in your post, and as far as I can tell, the first thing you'll need is an additional server at your home to run the OpenVPN Linux Gateway client alongside your main dedicated server. Then on your VDS, you'd want to go ahead and run the OpenVPN Access Server.

I've worked with OpenVPN support before and they are extremely helpful as long as you follow every step in their guides and follow their troubleshooting short guides they provide, but as stated in their guide:
The more difficult part comes when dealing with firewalls and security filtering options, and altering routing tables in routers and Internet gateways, as there are so many of them of various brands and models, that we cannot possibly document all of them.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I should mention that our TOS does not allow proxying servers at other hosts (including your home), so this is not something we could support.

In the past, we ran into problems with customers running servers at low-end dedicated server hosts and proxying them through us for our better DDoS mitigation and so that they could appear to be hosted at a better-quality provider. We also had some customers consuming large amounts of bandwidth through small services that would normally not be able to generate that much, due to them proxying 3rd party servers. Our bandwidth allotments and pricing are designed to support legitimate usage from directly-hosted services.
GetParanoid
New to forums
New to forums

Post by GetParanoid »

Edge100x wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:22 am I should mention that our TOS does not allow proxying servers at other hosts (including your home), so this is not something we could support.

In the past, we ran into problems with customers running servers at low-end dedicated server hosts and proxying them through us for our better DDoS mitigation and so that they could appear to be hosted at a better-quality provider. We also had some customers consuming large amounts of bandwidth through small services that would normally not be able to generate that much, due to them proxying 3rd party servers. Our bandwidth allotments and pricing are designed to support legitimate usage from directly-hosted services.
I was just reading the TOS and saw that, was going to submit a support ticket to clarify if other host included a home connection.

Thanks for the info.