Help with domains and VPS hosted forums.

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
DannyCookland
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Help with domains and VPS hosted forums.

Post by DannyCookland »

So basically, the forum I use for my gaming community is hosted on the VPS through xampp.

The issue I have is that when I direct the domain to my forum 'for example, forum.oceanicroleplay.com' it comes up with the VPS IP rather than the domain name.

I can mask it, but when I go to a category such as 'Announcements' it just stays as 'forum.oceanicroleplay.com' rather than forum.oceanicroleplay.com/announcements/

Any help is greatly appreciated, was told to post here by Cody, ticket number #700157 .

Cheers,
Danny.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Help with domains and VPS hosted forums.

Post by Vanderburg »

First, we very strongly recommend against xampp, because we regularly see it compromised.

Which webserver software are you using? Apache? What operating system are you on? If you're on Linux, on Apache, are you using the default virtual host (000-default.conf) file? Have you edited it, or created a new one, to use the domain name?
DannyCookland
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DannyCookland »

Vanderburg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 am First, we very strongly recommend against xampp, because we regularly see it compromised.

Which webserver software are you using? Apache? What operating system are you on? If you're on Linux, on Apache, are you using the default virtual host (000-default.conf) file? Have you edited it, or created a new one, to use the domain name?
I'm not really sure of what else to use, I've always had xampp.

I'm using Apache, yeah. We're on Windows operating system.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

It may be the C:\XAMPP\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf file, where you can open it and create a virtual host, or edit the exis ting one. You may see <VirtualHost *:80>, in which case, you can just create an A record from your registrar's control panel that points to your IP address and it'll just "work". You'll need to set your website software to use that address, though, in its administration settings.
DannyCookland
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DannyCookland »

Vanderburg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:49 am It may be the C:\XAMPP\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf file, where you can open it and create a virtual host, or edit the exis ting one. You may see <VirtualHost *:80>, in which case, you can just create an A record from your registrar's control panel that points to your IP address and it'll just "work". You'll need to set your website software to use that address, though, in its administration settings.

Code: Select all

##NameVirtualHost *:80
#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for all requests that do not
# match a ##ServerName or ##ServerAlias in any <VirtualHost> block.
#
##<VirtualHost *:80>
    ##ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
    ##DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs/dummy-host.example.com"
    ##ServerName dummy-host.example.com
    ##ServerAlias www.dummy-host.example.com
    ##ErrorLog "logs/dummy-host.example.com-error.log"
    ##CustomLog "logs/dummy-host.example.com-access.log" common
##</VirtualHost>
So what do I add here?

I wish for the link to be forum.oceanicroleplay.com (my domain is oceanicroleplay.com)
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

I can't know for sure that your config (because I'm not familiar with XAMPP generally) isn't being loaded from some other file and that's why everything is commented out, but on those bottom 8 lines, remove the ## at the beginning of each line. These symbols tell the software that the line is a comment, and to ignore everything seen there. Removing those tells the software to read the lines, and use the config.