Autmated file download from VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
mrquiglz
New to forums
New to forums

Autmated file download from VDS

Post by mrquiglz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:31 pm

Id like members connecting to my VDS to be able to automatically run a batch file... converted to exe and have the batch file connect to the server and download a text file that may be updated from time to time. Im wondering if anyone may be able to help with this. SImply need to connect and download a file to a particular folder in a users directory.

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Autmated file download from VDS

Post by Edge100x » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 pm

When would you like this run -- do you want it run when they log in?

On Windows, automated tasks are generally best handled through the Task Scheduler. It can be set up to trigger a task to occur under a variety of conditions, such as upon user login, machine bootup, at specific intervals, etc.

mrquiglz
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mrquiglz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:27 pm

I want this to run daily. This would be to machines I don't ha e physical access to but their owners will allow me to give them a batch file or exe to download said files. If I was going to be running it on Task Scheduler for only my won PC there wouldn't be much of a need. I tried using osftp but the script kept telling me the code get and lcd were not recognized commands in cmd line

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, then. Are you downloading from other machines onto the VDS?

Are you running Windows?

I was not suggesting that you use an external task scheduler. I was suggesting using it inside the VDS.

mrquiglz
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mrquiglz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:04 pm

My goal is to have them download a file on a scheduled basis from the VDS. Particularly a .txt file. My VDS is running CENTOS 6 as a VPN. However i want people to be able to download said file autmatically from the server. I propesed possibly a batch file using sftp but it claims the commands "get" and "lcd" are not recognized commands.

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:02 pm

You might consider setting up a lightweight webserver, then, if it's just a simple file that needs to be grabbed.