Automatic filter addition

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
skycop77
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Automatic filter addition

Post by skycop77 »

NFO contacted my clan about our DayZ servers, saying they had added a filter because of a DDOS attack. Adding the filter caused problems. Specifically, we were unable to access the inventory(backpack, vest, pants, etc) of our characters. Added below is the info we received from NFO reference the attacks and the filters.

"Target address: 74.91.***.**Attack: a flood of TCP traffic from specific ports to specific portsFilter duration: about 60 minutes
Target address: 74.91.***.**Attack: a specific type of TCP ACK flood/18Filter duration: about 18 hours
Target address: 74.91.***.**Attack: a flood of TCP traffic from specific ports to specific portsFilter duration: about 60 minutes".

Take note of the duration of the filters. We also had another that was 11 days in duration!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Automatic filter addition

Post by Edge100x »

The length of automatic filters is carefully chosen based on the likelihood of collateral damage in the form of legitimate traffic being blocked. This means that it's unlikely that the 18-hour filter would have impacted you, or that the 11-day filter would have impacted you. But, please don't hesitate to contact us directly to have us manually review your attack and see if the mitigation system can be improved.

(Looking at those three filters, I don't see a way that they would impact a game server in the way that you describe. I'd have to look at it more closely after seeing your support request, of course, but you may have been seeing a side effect from the attack itself, or something else was going on.)