Ping Question - Debian vs Ubuntu

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Tendency
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Ping Question - Debian vs Ubuntu

Post by Tendency »

First let me say. Thanks for all the years of offering great service and support. Im glad to see you are still kicking it.

I have an off the wall question for you. This is specific to your linux VDS servers.

So i'm running a few servers. I noticed something about running Ubuntu and Debian. Seems that Debian 10 provides the best performance and gameplay experience. But the in-game ping is slightly higher compared to running Ubuntu. This is on the same server, so its not hardware related. Ubuntu gives me a ping of 8-16ms and Debian gives me 16-24ms.

Im just curious if you know why that is. The Debian 10 instance gives the best experience, but Ubuntu gives the best ping. I would have thought the opposite considering Ubuntu has many more preinstalled processes compared to Debian.

Regards.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Ping Question - Debian vs Ubuntu

Post by Edge100x »

I haven't looked at the default kernel configurations, but it is possible that the Ubuntu kernel has a variable Hz and the Debian one doesn't, or something along those lines. Certainly odd, though, as both OSes are very similar (Ubuntu is based on Debian).