Rust Performance on Dedicated Windows Server 2016

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
RustyNation
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Rust Performance on Dedicated Windows Server 2016

Post by RustyNation »

Hello,

Machine Specs:
Description: Intel Xeon E3-1270v5 (Skylake 3.6ghz)
Number of CPUs: 1, with 4 total cores
Speed of CPUs: 3.60 ghz
Type of CPUs: Intel Xeon Quad-core
Amount of RAM: 64 GB

I run a Rust server and under normal conditions performance is stellar, but we seem to be pushing the limit under two scenarios. I always run a smaller sized map (3000), type is set to "Barren", to remove the landscape clutter and help with client performance, but with low entities (buildings, deployables, at ~55K) and higher population (right around the 225 mark) I start seeing performance die off, with server FPS dipping into the teens, and in-game chat outcry of "lag". The inverse is true as well, where entities are ~120K and player base is in the 100's. CPU usage is around 24% and RAM usage is only 6-8GB. I know there are some other big names in the Rust community hosted here, and running large pop servers, and I was just curious as to the setup you might be using, like running Linux (which OS), or what performance tweaks am I just missing?

Thanks!
oxy
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Rust Performance on Dedicated Windows Server 2016

Post by oxy »

Hello, The specs seem good for the job (you might want maby like a CPU or two to improve smoothness). The lag and random spikes could be due from DDoS attacks. I suggest adding extra IP for your front end and have a private back end and consider setting up some good IP tables/ and or firewall rules.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Rust Performance on Dedicated Windows Server 2016

Post by TimeX »

You mentioned 24% CPU usage. Is that overall, or on a single core? If that is overall, you may be hitting cap on a single core.

That said, Rust seems to be having performance problems since a recent update, with people reporting problems at other hosts as well.
TimeX