optimizing vds for large amounts of servers

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

optimizing vds for large amounts of servers

Post by Naleksuh »

I am currently looking to run a scalable number of SRCDS servers (Team Fortress 2) out of a particular VDS. I am concerned as I have heard that SRCDS 2007 cannot thread, and that you will only be able to use one core, however my source for this was somewhat unreliable and may be wrong.

How does NFo get around this when putting like 40+ servers on the same machine? Surely this would be a problem at some point? If there is a solution, perhaps involving some forced emulator, is it feasible? As my only idea would be to run the servers on seperate machines
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Re: optimizing vds for large amounts of servers

Post by Spray »

SRCDS indeed does all of its main processing on a single thread. This limitation of the game engine is per SRCDS process, however, so each individual game server will run on a new thread. The OS and processor then schedule the thread each process is using on the best available core for the CPU for the best performance.