1-core VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

1-core VDS

Post by Naleksuh »

Will 1-core VDS ever be returning? They were offered for a bit but are now not offered anymore.

I currently have a 4-core VDS that I am using to host 4 SRCDS servers, but I would them all to each have their own machine instead.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: 1-core VDS

Post by Edge100x »

We aren't planning on having it return. We ran into too many customers who ran into software performance problems due to having only one core and so little memory. We would rather offer a 2-core for the same price and give customers an extra bit of breathing room.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

"We would rather offer a 2-core for the same price and give customers an extra bit of breathing room."

Is it the same price? Price appears to be $5 per core, and 2 cores is $10, not $5.

Basically, my situation is that I want each gameserver to have its own machine. Which, to use 2 cores, I would be paying for twice as many cores as I need. Which is why I wanted to use only 1 core. If 1 core VDS is not available for this purpose, is there another alternative?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, a 2-core costs what a 1-core previously did.

At the low end, the overhead on processing the payments, support, etc., meant that having a sub-$10 VDS offering did not make sense, so we charged more per core. Before we discontinued the offering, it cost $9.99/mo.

The smallest VDSes require the same or more support than larger ones (which means far more per dollar spent). Customers are more likely to run out of resources, as I mentioned. They are also more likely to be attacked, due to how they are commonly used.