Installing Games Such as 1.6 and cs source on my Virtual Mac

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
dbx17
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Installing Games Such as 1.6 and cs source on my Virtual Mac

Post by dbx17 »

Hello, I just got my Virtual Server today. I would like to know how I can install games on my virtual server. Games like 1.6 and source.

I would like to use windows due to valve having bugs with Linux. I see you guys don't recommend using win server 2008?

Let me know.

-Thanks
Drew Ballard
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Installing Games Such as 1.6 and cs source on my Virtual Mac

Post by Edge100x »

For 1.6, you'd just need to follow this: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=4021

CS:S is very similar, but it needs to be started from the command line. Open up a command window by going to Start->Run and entering cmd.exe, then type something like:

Code: Select all

cd\Game installs\sourcebase
srcds.exe -game cstrike -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -maxplayers 12 -tickrate 100
You can also add -console to that, if you'd prefer not to see the window with graphs, etc.

There are also a ton of resources on the net about how to run game servers, and even many other threads about it right here in the forums :).

Windows 2008 works perfectly fine. We just don't recommend it for one-core VDS packages because it has a high memory overhead. Our order page mentions this: https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtua ... server.php
dbx17
New to forums
New to forums

Post by dbx17 »

The problem is, I don't understand that, I may of got my self to deep in this.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I tried to make it as step-by-step as possible. What bits are you having difficulty with?
dbx17
New to forums
New to forums

Post by dbx17 »

I'm not sure how to restart my 1.6 server.

I don't know how to get cs:s working. With 1.6 a green box just opened up and I was able to set my preferences.
dbx17
New to forums
New to forums

Post by dbx17 »

I also need to know what IPs I can use for 1.6 and what IPs I can use for cs:s
dbx17
New to forums
New to forums

Post by dbx17 »

Okay, I just went and got 2 IPs. So I'll have one IP for 1.6 and one IP for cs:s.

I'd like to know how to get CS:S working on my VDS. I'm confused on what to do and what to enter into the CMD.

I'd also like to figure out how to work Fire Daemon. I got the program and it's very confusing.

I'd also like to know if I can use SmartFTP to edit things in my 1.6 server and my CS:S server once I get it up and running.

Sorry for the previous two posts. I went and made a better one for the convenience :X
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm not sure how to restart my 1.6 server.
You can restart it by just closing its window, then starting the server again. But, once you get everything sorted out, I would recommend using a 3rd party program such as FireDaemon to run the server as a service and to allow you to easily start/stop it.
I don't know how to get cs:s working. With 1.6 a green box just opened up and I was able to set my preferences.
If you start CS:S with the command line I gave you, it will open up a box just as 1.6 did for you.
I also need to know what IPs I can use for 1.6 and what IPs I can use for cs:s
The IPs you can use are listed on the "IP list" page of your control panel. If you need to run more servers than you have IPs, you'll need to put them on different ports by adding "-port xxxxx" to the command line for each server (where xxxxx is the port number -- the default is 27015) or by choosing a different one in the menu that pops up when you start hlds.exe / srcds.exe.
I'd like to know how to get CS:S working on my VDS. I'm confused on what to do and what to enter into the CMD.
The instructions I gave you above (to start up a command prompt, then type a couple of commands) are all it takes. I've gone ahead and elaborated on these further in this tutorial: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=4107
I'd also like to figure out how to work Fire Daemon. I got the program and it's very confusing.
The FireDaemon forums have a lot of posts on how to use it with game servers: http://forums.firedaemon.com/game-servers-f15p2.html. In their posts, they give sample command lines that may differ from what I said here; I recommend using what I gave instead.
I'd also like to know if I can use SmartFTP to edit things in my 1.6 server and my CS:S server once I get it up and running.
I'd recommend just editing things directly unless you need to hand out limited access to others. To install FTP, you can use FileZilla: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =44&t=4098
dbx17
New to forums
New to forums

Post by dbx17 »

I can't get my cs:s server working with the Ip ending in 194. the other IP works fine.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It looks like you added an IP to your package after you initially ordered it, which means that our system couldn't add it to your server itself and let you know that you needed to add it through the OS. If you haven't done this yet, it won't be available to your applications.

If you send us an email at support@nfoservers.com, we can add it for you. Alternately, you could reinstall the server through the CP, and it would be added -- but that would erase any work you've already done on the server.