2 people remote desktop

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Dylann
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

2 people remote desktop

Post by Dylann »

Me and my friend are both connected to the same VDS, but we seem to be on different sessions.
I can see the game servers we are running in the taskbar, but he cannot.

How can we fix this so we both see the same stuff at once, and he can watch me do stuff and vice versa
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: 2 people remote desktop

Post by Edge100x »

It sounds like you're running Windows 2003. Windows 2003 allows two administrator sessions to be open at once, so you can see up to two different desktops.

To have him alter your session exclusively, you'd need to close your window, and he'd need to log out of the other one. Then, he could reconnect and it should connect him to your closed one.

The only way that I know of to handle two people in the same session at once with default Windows applications is to have one person use the VNC console in the control panel and the other person connect using Remote Assistance. You could also use a third party program to do this, such as with your own VNC installation and the shared desktop enabled.
Temp12
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Temp12 »

Were running 08 but even when he is not connected, I still have my own screen which doesnt show what he is seeing.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's odd; I thought that Win2k8 only allowed one session by default (I know that Win2k8 R2 only allows one).

What I said about Win2k3 should apply equally to Win2k8.
Temp12
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Temp12 »

Edge100x wrote:That's odd; I thought that Win2k8 only allowed one session by default (I know that Win2k8 R2 only allows one).

What I said about Win2k3 should apply equally to Win2k8.
It should, I'll dink around some more.
Dylann
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Dylann »

Edge100x wrote:It sounds like you're running Windows 2003. Windows 2003 allows two administrator sessions to be open at once, so you can see up to two different desktops.

To have him alter your session exclusively, you'd need to close your window, and he'd need to log out of the other one. Then, he could reconnect and it should connect him to your closed one.

The only way that I know of to handle two people in the same session at once with default Windows applications is to have one person use the VNC console in the control panel and the other person connect using Remote Assistance. You could also use a third party program to do this, such as with your own VNC installation and the shared desktop enabled.
We have tried that, one in VNC one in Remote Dekstop.
On a previous VDS I had, we could both see the same session.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I suppost that would be nice so you could show him how to do let's say system updates, or vice verse. However, running VNC and remote desktop would definently be a killer on the VDS. Would see CPU and Memory sky rocket while both of you were on it.
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

If you just need to upload files then you can create a simple ftp server using IIS which will consume little resources.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I think they want two to be able to go on and once to actually do stuff on the VDS itself, not just upload files. If that is indeed the case though, a ftp server would be the best way to solve that.