16 Cores

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

16 Cores

Post by rlm850 »

heya johnny boy - didn't want to bother you through e-mail yet again so i came back here haha

the dual E5540 - 16 cores with HT?
a dual E5520 from a competitor has only 250GB of HD yet unlimited bandwidth for $509 but you know i couldn't turn NFo down for 499 :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: 16 Cores

Post by Edge100x »

The dual E5540 has eight physical CPU cores that are split into 16 HT cores.

The other machine is also a bit slower, which probably matters more than the "unlimited" bandwidth. Unlimited bandwidth sounds nice, but in reality, I've only ever seen one dedicated server customer hit our limit anyway ;). Also, you have to wonder what type of bandwidth it is, that they can offer unlimited amounts of it (it sure isn't InterNAP).
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

i talked to them about that, they said as long as it's for the game server it's unlimited. anything else the cap is 3TB. i know their NY host is colocrossing but no idea about the rest. noone has ever been fond of their networking anyway :?
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

oh and haha i see what you did there, frisky! i was like wait.. am i seeing things? sorry about that :roll:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That large GSP colocates with another large GSP? That's bizarre -- these particular two were never linked before, that I've seen.

That makes me think that they're probably just reselling dedicated servers from the other GSP. Which is not a particularly good thing, but reselling is pretty common overall (usually GSPs resell from large dedicated server providers and not from other GSPs, though). We don't resell our dedicated servers here, but instead actually own them ourselves, and support them directly.

If their real bandwidth limit is 3 TB, that's very low for this machine type.
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

colocrossing is a GSP...? o_O this is news to me lol noo colocrossing they use for their NY datacenter, just like another GSP uses choopa for their NY datacenter.

but idk, i've never went over any bandwidth limits, it just scares me sometimes when i watch the utilization and think about IIS usage, HLXCE usage, etc haha
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, ColoCrossing == Velocity (Velocity came first, and created ColoCrossing). And Choopa == gameservers.com (Choopa bought clanservers.com, which bought gameservers.com).

They just have different brands for their different services (with some overlap).

I'd prefer not to talk about competitors' brands too much in these forums, though, in favor of focusing on our services here.
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

wow... i.. never knew that o_o

but agreed. but alright as long as it can be turned into 16 cores i'm happy :D all i needed to know
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

The unlimited bw is cheap and cost saving for them, if you dont need more than what NFO is offer then NFOs is the way to go.