How to have VDS download files dirrectly from a remote locat

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: How to have VDS download files dirrectly from a remote locat

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Unfortunately I think you will have to copy to yours, then upload to the VPS. John may know of some other way though, but that's how I've always done it. Takes a while sometimes, especially if you have lots of maps.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

webster wrote:I'm trying to transfer my old server files e.g. mods, maps, etc. to my VDS server. Rather than accessing my old server via FTP and downloading all the files to my local computer then uploading them back to the new VDS server... How can I just use FTP from my VDS and have a direct exchange? I have Gentoo OS.
I'd recommend just downloading the files that you need, using a simple FTP client like lynx.

Code: Select all

lynx ftp://username:password@youroldid.nuclearfallout.net
You could also grab down the entire install with a utility like wget.

Code: Select all

wget -r ftp://username:password@youroldid.nuclearfallout.net
I'm also having problems logging into the VNC console I can type in the login but when it asks for the password I can't enter a password it won't let me type anything... copy and pasting don't work either.
Linux hides the password as you type it in. Just type it, then hit enter.

I'd recommend sticking with SSH instead of using VNC -- there's no real advantage to it, unless you need to get around a firewall or fix an IP problem.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Fair enough. Linux does have a bit of a learning curve :).