Filezilla FTP - server box help!

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
wholegrain
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Filezilla FTP - server box help!

Post by wholegrain »

My question is i am trying to install filezilla server on my server box and it keeps asking me for a port so i tried ports 21 ,27015, 255 and none of them worked so what ports do i need then? Also i know their is a section on ftp's on this forum but it is very unspecific and left me where i had started

Or in filezilla client i put the ip for my server box but what user/pw do i use ? this one to connect to the box or the one to get on the control panel

I really don't know what i am doing here anything helps
thanks!
BrendanG
Staff
Staff

Re: Filezilla FTP - server box help!

Post by BrendanG »

wholegrain wrote:My question is i am trying to install filezilla server on my server box and it keeps asking me for a port so i tried ports 21 ,27015, 255 and none of them worked so what ports do i need then? Also i know their is a section on ftp's on this forum but it is very unspecific and left me where i had started

Or in filezilla client i put the ip for my server box but what user/pw do i use ? this one to connect to the box or the one to get on the control panel

I really don't know what i am doing here anything helps
thanks!

From what I have seen with filezilla's server side you set it up on the vps, and then edit the settings through some sort of a config file and that is where you set the port username and password as well as the folder/dir it points to... I however am still a noobie with the vps details but I would imagine it would work the same way. Hopefully another community/support or other member will share their thoughts incase I am incorrect.

Best of luck.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

On the server side, the port that it asks you for during the installation is just for adminning the FTP locally, and you can choose just about anything, as long as you remember what it is. Their quick setup guide talks a bit more about it:

http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_FTP_Server

After the Filezilla server is set up on the VDS, you can connect to your VDS' IP through your Filezilla client, just as you would any FTP.
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

If you are on windows I would suggest just using the IIS FTP server that comes with windows. If you set it up correctly it would probably use less resources than an external ftp program.
dukenukemz
A regular
A regular

Post by dukenukemz »

I personally use slim FTPd its a very small FTP that uses about 2megs of ram and you can easily transfer files and its very simple to set up took about 5 minz.

if you have any questions relating to this you can email me duke@cyverse.net or on xfire: dukenukemz

if u need any assisstance setting it up

http://www.whitsoftdev.com/slimftpd/ heres the site
N2DEEP
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by N2DEEP »

Run the exe installer
Select admin port and remember this port
Launch FileZilla Server Interface
Enter port from above, enter (new) password for administration, click ok/connect

I run Filezilla and it works great, always has. During installation the port you choose is just the admin port, it can be anything, I left mine as the default it brought up. Then once your install is done, you can then start your ftp with that same port, as it will come up by default.

Once you do this you can enter your pass and click connect. once connected you can then setup user accounts, with access permissions from the options setting.

hit me up on Xfire tonight: n2deep3d or via email at n2deep@rezurrectiongaming.com