bursts of lag on tf2 server

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Thraka
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

bursts of lag on tf2 server

Post by Thraka »

I cannot seem to figure out what is causing it. I don't have any gameplay mods installed that are listening to events or doing things. Just admin plugins that respond to events. As far as I can tell this started happening after the christmas time ddos attacks. Now every minute or 3 all players in the server just get a burst of no data and come back. then, it is gone ready to come back in a few minutes.

Any ideas?

I watched process explorer and the CPU never goes above 6% generally it's down around 2% and the memory has lots free...
BioShock
A regular
A regular

Re: bursts of lag on tf2 server

Post by BioShock »

Is this a dedicated server or a vds?

If it's a dedicated server it would be best to send in a support request, through our control panel.
Thraka
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thraka »

Sorry, VDS.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Are you also having problems with the connection in Remote Desktop or VNC console when this happens?

What OS are you running?

Were there any events mentioned in the control panel regarding Xen when this started?

I can check some things on our end if you open a support request, as well (disk access and so on).
Thraka
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thraka »

I dont notice any issues with remote desktop. I did have a ticket open but they told me to post in here instead of the ticket. Should I open another?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Just reply in the same request and I'll look for it.
Thraka
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thraka »

I found a plugin that I *thought* I had removed when testing for plugins doing it. I removed it and people are saying it's going good. I'll let you guys know thanks for the quick responses.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Good, I hope that's all it was, then :)

I also recommend applying the latest Orangebox update that was distributed today, if you haven't already, as it should help with the class of DoS attacks that target servers with excessive queries: http://store.steampowered.com/news/4934/
Thraka
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Thraka »

sigh. it's still happening. It might be related to large maps or something, i donno. I did install the update. I'll reply to the ticket.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Did you apply that update, then? Is the server FPS dipping?