Fast Download VPS Question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Fast Download VPS Question

Post by vasili »

I am however, with rogers internet. But like I said I have fine download speeds.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

vasili wrote:I run my server through NFO. I myself just downloaded a 100mb installer from another site at 1.8 mb/s.

If there is some configuration I have to change do you know where it is at?
I don't know on that one, no. It would depend on the software.

I tested from Dallas and got 2.0 MB/sec, which is still lower than I would expect between these location, but an order of magnitude faster than what I'm personally getting from my home connection. Hmm.
I am however, with rogers internet. But like I said I have fine download speeds.
Unfortunately it isn't always the case that the whole internet would seem fast or slow. It is possible that Rogers, or a NSP between you and us, is having a problem or doing something unusual that would cause an issue like this for you with only certain destinations.

I will have to work on setting up another VDS in Chicago with Apache, on a different physical machine, to use for comparison. Your situation is definitely unusual and I am very curious as to what is going on beneath the surface here with the routing.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

All right thanks for looking into it. I myself never used Appachi before. I had a friend who had a webspace that he let me host off of. However, he is not around anymore.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You could also use a 2.99 unlimited webspace here for hosting your downloads, but you'd have to remotely upload all your changed files when you make adjustments to the server, which might be a little bit of a hassle.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

I am going to try to reinstall Apache and see if it is better.

Also could you remove the link I posted earlier, as I cannot do it myself.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

I have reinstalled Apache and the issue still exists.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The problem does appear to be at least partially Win2k3-specific, as I installed Apache on a Gentoo x86 install and it transferred at ~750 KB/s (with TSO turned off, made necessary by a separate Xen bug that I am also investigating) to my home machine. I also tried Debian Squeeze, and it also worked at up to 750 KB/s (stock).

I'm continuing to investigate.
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by squirrelof09 »

Any results with the investigation?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I determined that it occurred on each Windows edition, so it wasn't just Win2k3. It is likely either a limitation of the Windows version of Apache, or Windows itself. I have not had a chance to look into it beyond that point.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

I have fixed the issue by installing windows default http server. It worked perfectly fine and upload speeds are great.

I followed this guide if anyone needs assistance in this matter:

http://www.wmwiki.com/mcored/guides/How ... ng-IIS.pdf
Detox
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Detox »

Good to see you fixed the problem, I would try to avoid apache especially on windows iis seems to work much better (atleast in my experiences) just a bit of a pain to set up.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Apache works very well on Linux. It's interesting that IIS is so much better on Windows -- makes me wonder what tricks MS is using with it..