Fast Download VPS Question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Fast Download VPS Question

Post by vasili »

I understand that when choosing to run a VPS, one must expect to be independent, but I am seeking assistance for a minor thing that you guys likely know a solution too.

For fast download, which I have setup through Apachi, there is a limited amount of internet speed. Around 200 kb/s. I believe it is because it is running through TCP.

How can I set this up such that it transitions from slow download to fast download.

Thanks,

Vasili
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Fast Download VPS Question

Post by Edge100x »

If the FAD files are only transferring at 200 KB/s, it may be a client limitation. Where are you measuring from -- are you downloading from the local server? What size of file are you testing with?
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

I have tested through both the server and through the index page created through Appachi.

I myself have 15 mbp/s download and I have gotten others to download as well. My download speed is like 100 kb/s to 200 kb/s.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You didn't address my question about the size, which is an important one. If you are testing with a small file, you won't get a valid value. Please test with a large file, such as one that is 100 MB in size. Run this test through the web browser inside your VDS, so that we can see if there is a problem with your Apache install itself -- this will exclude network factors.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

Sorry I had quickly skimmed over what you asked, I was in a hurry. I have been testing with a 60mb file.

I downloaded through the VPS browser and it was instantly downloaded. Yet again after testing through the VPS, through my owner browser and through my friends, we both get bad download speeds.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Is your ping to the server very high? Higher network latencies will slow down your transfers. Are you using Windows XP?
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

I have a ping under 40 ms most times. I chose my location as it offers the greatest connection with me and the lowest pings.

If you I could like you to the file and you can see if you can download it, with better speeds than myself.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Sure, link it here and I'll give it a go. After I've tried, you can remove or rename it.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

Wow sorry I butchered that response. I was trying to say that I can post a link of that file for you.
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

Alright, I cannot edit previous posts, must be disabled. Here is the link.

(removed)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

If it helps I DL that file and was capped at 169KB. Usually pull 3+megs from NFO.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

Yeah it appears to be going through TCP where there is less speeds.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

All HTTP downloads use TCP.

Did you install an Apache-based stack that is set up to use a rate limit by default? I'm getting right around 200 KB/sec, as well, and the consistency of it feels very much like a rate limit.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I just tested from our webserver in Seattle and got 1.31 MB/sec for that file, so this may be a rate limit put in place by a particular ISP/NSP, or something similar. What ISP are you on?
vasili
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by vasili »

I run my server through NFO. I myself just downloaded a 100mb installer from another site at 1.8 mb/s.

If there is some configuration I have to change do you know where it is at?