ramdisk question

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
MarS
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

ramdisk question

Post by MarS »

Does anyone know how to check if I mounted a ramdisk correctly, and see if its actually being used? I mounted the world files for minecraft a couple weeks ago but I havent seen any noticeable improvement, so I want to make sure that it is mounted correctly.

Im using Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

this is the output I got from a command i found with google:

root@minecraft:~# grep -w tmpfs /proc/mounts
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
none /var/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
ramdisk /home/minecraft/mainworld tmpfs rw,relatime,size=2097152k 0 0

so i think it is mounted, but im not sure its actually using it. I thought the files inside the mounted folder would become invisible until you unmount, but i can still see them.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: ramdisk question

Post by Edge100x »

How are you using the ramdisk? Are you running Minecraft from /home/minecraft/mainworld?

Be careful with using a ramdisks, because you will lose your whole world if the VDS/machine is shut down. Make sure that you are backing up the ramdisk very regularly.
MarS
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by MarS »

Yes, what i do is mount that folder when empty, then copy the latest copy of the map to that folder (which now that its mounted should be copying it to ram instead).

And yes i have some cronjobs running periodic backups the mainworld :)

Id just like to know if there is a way to check if the ramdisk is actually being used.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Fundamentally whether it gets used is about how you're running Minecraft.

From an OS-level standpoint, you should be able to tell what device disk access is occurring on with a command like "iotop", and you should be able to tell what files are open on the system with a command like "lsof".
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutor ... led_server

I used this and it works perfectly.

You can also tell that it's working because your world folder on PuTTY shows up as a tealish color, meaning it's a link, not an actual folder.