Help forwarding Domain to VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
pilotsr
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Help forwarding Domain to VDS

Post by pilotsr »

Hey fellas, I'm pretty new to all this so bear with me. I just purchased a VDS through NFO, and set up IIS on it to host our clans killboard and forums.

I currently have our clans domain name through godaddy which is currently pointing to our current server which someone else is hosting for us. I'd like to take the domain and associate it with my NFO VDS but don't know exactly what to do in order for it to redirect.

Do I need to mess with nameservers or anything like that, or is it as simple as forwarding the domain to my VDS IP ?

Any and all help is appreciated.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Help forwarding Domain to VDS

Post by TimeX »

You should be able to just use the domain controls on the godaddy site to forward the name to the IP you have. The only reason you would need to mess with the name servers is if you changed them in the past to something other than what godaddy uses.
TimeX
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Help forwarding Domain to VDS

Post by Vanderburg »

As TimeX said, it is that easy. This would be done through the DNS Manager in domain dashboard. You'd want to edit (Should be the only one you have) A record for "@" (A wildcard that will satisfy yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com) and set it to the IP address of your VDS. You don't have to mess with DNS servers or anything. It's also good to make sure the TTL is set to one or two hours. Then in Apache2 (Or Comanche or whatever you use) set it to listen to that your VDS address or just all interfaces (Not localhost). Wala!