Bandwidth Calculation & Limits

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
TellarHK
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Bandwidth Calculation & Limits

Post by TellarHK »

I'm currently in my second month of service here with NFO, and so far have been really happy with how things have been shaking out. However, I'm starting to wonder about the bandwidth situation I'm currently seeing with the servers I run.

My plan is the 2-core VPS, running a pair of TF2 servers. A 32 slot, and a 24 slot. Last month, the 24 slot was barely ever in use, while the 32 only saw limited use when a group of connected friends got together to play. Thus, bandwidth load was pretty low at 140GB.

This month, which I believe started yesterday (6/24), I've already used 92.23GB of my 2000GB total bandwidth. This is making me worry. Thanks to Valve's newly implemented matchmaking system and Free-to-Play Team Fortress 2, both my servers have gone up to being fully populated 24/7.

I know that in the past, the bandwidth limits offered have apparently been pretty reasonable for hosting more than one game, according to the posts I've read here in the forums over the past few days. But I'm wondering if the recent patches and changes to TF2 may have increased the load in any way that's measurable from an infrastructure standpoint, or if my problem is just a matter of rampant success. I don't know how your clients with a similar setup to mine have handled bandwidth in the past, so if there are any pointers I could get that would be really appreciated.

One thing that might be nice is if the panel could give me an estimation of monthly bandwidth at the current rate or something along those lines.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Bandwidth Calculation & Limits

Post by TimeX »

Bandwidth usage can be difficult to predict since there are consistant usage factors (such as players using the server) and burst usage factors (such as mods or other things being downloaded for install) to consider.

I would recommend keeping an eye on it and see if it looks like it is hitting the limit before your month rolls over. If it does look that way, you can always upgrade your included bandwidth before it goes over the limit to avoid overage charges.
TimeX
TellarHK
New to forums
New to forums

Post by TellarHK »

TimeX wrote:Bandwidth usage can be difficult to predict since there are consistant usage factors (such as players using the server) and burst usage factors (such as mods or other things being downloaded for install) to consider.

I would recommend keeping an eye on it and see if it looks like it is hitting the limit before your month rolls over. If it does look that way, you can always upgrade your included bandwidth before it goes over the limit to avoid overage charges.
Yeah, I know it's impossible to predict a perfect number - especially in the beginning of a month - but it would be nice to see an estimate of "At current usage rates, your bandwidth will be exceeded on: xx/xx/xx" or something like that.

I'll just have to shut my second server down, if that happens. Not really the best alternative, and somewhat disappointing unfortunately. Maybe once I get donations coming in, I can up the bandwidth to keep both servers.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Shoot us a support request and ask for it to be assigned to me. We may be able to work something out for you.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Also, remember that this is an update coming on a weekend and you are likely seeing your peak usage, so you will regain some of that average during the week.