X11 Forwarding Issue

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Peep
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

X11 Forwarding Issue

Post by Peep »

I'm trying to get a Windows program to run under Wine, and the program opens X windows and I have no GUI installed. It seems solution to this is to use X11 forwarding, but I am having trouble and I'm not sure why.

Here's what I've done:

Installed Xming on my Windows machine with default settings (should be all that is needed)

In Putty, under Connection>SSH>X11 I have checked the "Enable X11 forwarding" box. X display location is set to "localhost:0:0". I have also tried localhost:0.0 and localhost:0, as well as leaving it completely blank.

In the sshd configuration file, I uncommented these lines:

X11Forwarding yes (had to set this from no to yes)
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes

Finally, after that I reloaded sshd so the changes could take effect.

Running a simple test program like xclock throws the error "Can't open display"

Doing echo $DISPLAY returns nothing. I think it should be returning the settings from putty, but it's not.

I am not sure what I'm doing wrong here, I've spent hours trying to figure it out and I seem to be doing everything correct, yet it does not work. Does anyone here have any experience with this and perhaps could help me out? Would be much appreciated, thanks.
Peep
A regular
A regular

Re: X11 Forwarding Issue

Post by Peep »

Fixed it, had to install x11-apps/xauth on the server. This was for Gentoo.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: X11 Forwarding Issue

Post by Vanderburg »

Glad to hear you got this resolved!