A question regarding VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Individual
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

A question regarding VDS

Post by Individual »

Sorry for so many questions guys, but I'm trying figure out what setup would work best for me. If I were to order the Eight core VDS server would it come with Windows 2k8 Server in order to run BF3? Also will the eight core VDS support up to 3 64 man servers for BF3? I appreciate your time, and I do plan on ordering from you guys. I think you guys offer the best servers out there.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: A question regarding VDS

Post by rustydusty1717 »

First off, there is no 8 core VDS, 4 core is the maximum unless you want your own dedicated machine. Secondly, in order to run BF3 servers on a VDS, it has to be managed, not unmanaged, and it has to be running a Windows flavour, not linux. Kraze or John will confirm this, though. How many BF3 slots a 4 core VDS will run, is unknown still I believe.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I take that back, there is an 8 core VDS now. Never heard anything about this! Don't see anything on news page either :? .
Individual
A regular
A regular

Post by Individual »

I'm already aware of the Windows and managed asspects of the VDS that are a must to run BF3, but I'm unsure of the exact Windows os needed to run it. For example: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =44&t=5771
That thread was what originally prompted me to start this thread. I'd be ordering a new VDS and am wondering if it comes with the required Windows needed to run BF3.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Windows 2008 will be fine to run BF3. I think it is mandatory for that game.
Will the eight core VDS support up to 3 64 man servers for BF3?
An 8 core VDS should be more then plenty. Depending on how full we expect these servers to be, you shouldn't see any issues. However I would suggest you start small and work your way up. I would start with a 4 core and observe the usage of all three servers. If you need more you can upgrade instantly.
First off, there is no 8 core VDS
I didn't know there was options above 4 not to long ago either, so don't feel bad. lol
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Do you guys plan on posting any info like min VDS server size for 1 64 slot.
Maybe min size per 2,3,4,etc. Some sort of estimated guess of recommendation?

We too are looking, and are trying to get a handle on what would be best.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I do not think there is any plans to post that but I would say a two core VDS would be able to run one or two 32 slot servers and maybe a 64 slot. Since we cannot test 64 slot servers,it's hard to say.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
ladmeih
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ladmeih »

kraze wrote:Windows 2008 will be fine to run BF3. I think it is mandatory for that game.
Will the eight core VDS support up to 3 64 man servers for BF3?
An 8 core VDS should be more then plenty. Depending on how full we expect these servers to be, you shouldn't see any issues. However I would suggest you start small and work your way up. I would start with a 4 core and observe the usage of all three servers. If you need more you can upgrade instantly.
First off, there is no 8 core VDS
I didn't know there was options above 4 not to long ago either, so don't feel bad. lol
Individual's concern is semi valid as both mine and his clan ran 3 64-slot BF2 servers that were all ranked in the top 10 most popular(read: full) via Game-Monitor with a different server provider. We're hoping for some of the same success with BF3. From what I remember Battlefield 2 was a major bandwidth hog and while I think the 8000gb will be adequate it still concerns me but as this game is also semi-designed for consoles the bandwidth usage probably won't be quite as bad.

We want to start big and downsize if necessary and running the 8 core VDS for at least 2-3 months while attempting to build/rebuild a user base isn't that much of a concern for us.

Are you able to set CPU affinity on the managed VDS for each game server? We're basically wanting to run 2 cores per server with 3(maybe 4) 64-slot servers running BF3 on the 8 core with the extra 2 cores allowing for possible expansion and as a potential buffer. Yes, that amount of cores may be overkill but we want to mitigate as much potential server-side lag ahead of time by doing that.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Are you able to set CPU affinity on the managed VDS for each game server? We're basically wanting to run 2 cores per server with 3(maybe 4) 64-slot servers running BF3 on the 8 core with the extra 2 cores allowing for possible expansion and as a potential buffer. Yes, that amount of cores may be overkill but we want to mitigate as much potential server-side lag ahead of time by doing that
It is not possible to do. However I do not think you will gain anything from dedicating cores. As good as the machines are it is unlikely you will see a difference. Only place I can see that being useful is if you are running low on resources. However I do not think that is going to happen.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
ladmeih
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ladmeih »

kraze wrote:
Are you able to set CPU affinity on the managed VDS for each game server? We're basically wanting to run 2 cores per server with 3(maybe 4) 64-slot servers running BF3 on the 8 core with the extra 2 cores allowing for possible expansion and as a potential buffer. Yes, that amount of cores may be overkill but we want to mitigate as much potential server-side lag ahead of time by doing that
It is not possible to do. However I do not think you will gain anything from dedicating cores. As good as the machines are it is unlikely you will see a difference. Only place I can see that being useful is if you are running low on resources. However I do not think that is going to happen.

Thanks for taking the to answer our questions, we really think this is the way to go after pricing out 3-4 game servers. Hopefully the 8 cores and 8 gb of RAM will be more than adequate for our purposes. We were just concerned after playing the 64 player Conquest map in the Beta as most of the servers experienced immense server side lag but hopefully they're ironing out those bugs.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Have you played on any of the NFO servers? To get a good idea of how servers will perform I would check out those.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
ladmeih
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ladmeih »

kraze wrote:Have you played on any of the NFO servers? To get a good idea of how servers will perform I would check out those.
Yes, that's why we're choosing NFO :)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I see! Well I am glad they are performing well.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Individual
A regular
A regular

Post by Individual »

My buddy and I have also both used your servers in the past, but due to unforeseen circumstances we opted to shut the servers down. We have used other companies prior to using your services, but we found your servers, services, and hardware were superior to the others. Our main issue was trying to figure out whether or not we should go with a dedicated server or a VDS. I think we've concluded that the VDS is the best route for us at this point in time. Thank you so much for the help. We'll probably be ordering sometime next week.

FYI, I only play the bf3 beta on nfo servers :).
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I am so glad to hear you have decided!!

Please let us know if you have any other questions :)
@Juski> Doesn't matter!