Help with Forward DNS setup

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Help with Forward DNS setup

Post by squirrelof09 »

I'm trying to learn more about networking on my own. Can't afford college right now, so I like to just trial and error until I learn things. ;) so, to the point...

I had my VDS connect to an IRC server, the IRC server said it couldn't find my hostname. No biggie, but I know surely there's got to be a way to make the IRC see the hostname.

#nfo-support told me in order for that to work "you need to have the forward DNS entry point to that IP as well, and not just the reverse entry set up"

I have DNS server installed on my win 2008 server. A bit overwhelmed by what I'm seeing here. I believe this is where I configure forward DNS settings at. I've done quite a bit of googling and youtube tutorials, but they all seem to confuse me.

Right now I have nothing configured in the DNS server. I'm not sure where to get started. What do I do to get the IRC to see my hostname?

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Help with Forward DNS setup

Post by Edge100x »

I haven't messed around with DNS servers on Windows myself, but you'd need to point the DNS server entries for your domain to your VDS IP, then set up a subdomain "A" record in the DNS server to point to the IP that you have assigned the reverse DNS to. That subdomain/domain combination has to match the reverse DNS entry in order for IRC servers to recognize it.

Usually I would recommend using the DNS servers provided by the registrar or by us (with our webhosting packages), as such services provide redundancy, higher performance, and an easier interface.
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Help with Forward DNS setup

Post by squirrelof09 »

Thanks. That worked. I was getting myself into a bigger mess than I needed to. Almost got this last night but I didn't wait long enough for everything to propagate over.