Win Server 2k3 MSConfig Missing

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
sniperfodder
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Win Server 2k3 MSConfig Missing

Post by sniperfodder »

So, Recently I found myself wanting to check the startup items for my VDS only to discover that MSConfig is missing from the server in it's entirety. So I was going to ask if anyone could help me out on getting it installed.

I've tried copying it off the WinServer 2k3 disk, however, both versions (the 32bit and 64bit) keep erroring out. I can only guess that maybe I'm not copying everything correctly. The error is:
The program or feature "\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\msconfig.exe" can not start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.
[ILSN]SniperFodder
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Win Server 2k3 MSConfig Missing

Post by Edge100x »

Our Windows installs are vanilla versions. msconfig is included by Microsoft by default, so both our 32-bit and 64-bit Windows installs have this utility (I have just tested each to confirm this).

If Start->Run->msconfig is not working for you, one of your software packages may have corrupted the system in some way. I would recommend an OS reinstall.
sniperfodder
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Win Server 2k3 MSConfig Missing

Post by sniperfodder »

Alright, so I have partially discovered my problem. msconfig exists, but it is at

Code: Select all

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries
So the next thing I did was add the above directory to my path, remove all instances of my "copied" msconfig, and viola! It worked. It's possible I messed up my path while editing it. Now I have to wonder what else is broken though =/

As far as OS Reinstall: Not an option. This is a production server and I can not take it down for the amount of time it would take for me to get everything up and running again.

Thanks for the help though Edge100x.
[ILSN]SniperFodder