No longer count incoming bandwidth?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Cypher100
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

No longer count incoming bandwidth?

Post by Cypher100 »

I notice company's are starting to stop counting incoming bandwidth and only count outgoing bandwidth. Do you guys have any plans to do the same?\
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: No longer count incoming bandwidth?

Post by Edge100x »

I haven't seen a general trend towards this. Some companies have always done it -- mostly it's possible if they charge by 95th percentile estimates, have such ridiculously lopsided usage that the incoming bandwidth usage is small enough that they actually want it to increase (it's important to have a good ratio when it comes to peering), or they're small and purchase from a larger provider that gives them the incoming deal.

We don't charge by 95th percentile (because customers don't like it), game servers don't have terribly lopsided usage, and our provider (InterNAP) charges by 95th percentile with no free inbound, so this doesn't make much sense in our case. To do it, we'd have to lower bandwidth allotments on our services.

The point is mostly moot, in any case, because very few customers here exceed their basic allotments -- we include a lot of bandwidth. Do you have a service that is exceeding its purchased amount? What are you running?
Cypher100
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Cypher100 »

Edge100x wrote:I haven't seen a general trend towards this. Some companies have always done it -- mostly it's possible if they charge by 95th percentile estimates, have such ridiculously lopsided usage that the incoming bandwidth usage is small enough that they actually want it to increase (it's important to have a good ratio when it comes to peering), or they're small and purchase from a larger provider that gives them the incoming deal.

We don't charge by 95th percentile (because customers don't like it), game servers don't have terribly lopsided usage, and our provider (InterNAP) charges by 95th percentile with no free inbound, so this doesn't make much sense in our case. To do it, we'd have to lower bandwidth allotments on our services.

The point is mostly moot, in any case, because very few customers here exceed their basic allotments -- we include a lot of bandwidth. Do you have a service that is exceeding its purchased amount? What are you running?
No, but thinks for the useful information. I already have a service with you guys, I was just wondering why.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If you do near your allotment, please shoot us a note, and I'll see what I can do to help.