HLDS Unix

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

HLDS Unix

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Has anyone be able to see if HLDS can benefit from multiple cores on a unix OS? Obviously HLDS is single threaded, especially on Windows, however I'd like to see if HLDS can benefit from more than one core on a unix based system.

John, any testing you've done?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: HLDS Unix

Post by Edge100x »

HLDS is single-threaded and any benefits from having multiple cores would stem from being able to run multiple servers and other processes simultaneously.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Dang, was hoping not to hear that. So a VDS running HLDS only would benefit from a single core VDS only, unless it was to run more than one instance of HLDS? Not what I wanted to hear. Is SRCDS much better for multithreading?
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by squirrelof09 »

Not exactly true. On a dual setup - you would at least have more room for other threads such as from the OS that would otherwise affect your performance on a single core.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

rustydusty1717, srcds is slightly multithreaded, but not very.

For a single server, I would not generally recommend a VDS, unless it's a game we don't otherwise support.