Arma 2 CO on a VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
bob
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Arma 2 CO on a VDS

Post by bob »

Hey, i've got a 4-core VDS, and i've been running an arma 2 CO server on it for about two months now. We've been noticing a fair amount of lag/desync on our server. After looking around the forums and looking through the server panels, here's what i found out:

In the beginning, the server would be restarted by the nfo system for high cpu usage after about 5 minutes of up time. Since then, i've been using the "Exempt this server from being restarted for using 100% CPU" option on the managed panel.

Once i got the server consistently running and we started using it regularly, we started to really notice the desync. When more than 1-2 people are playing in the server, my VDS' CPU usage sits around 25-26%, and this leads me to believe that the arma server is just maxing out one of the four cores. I've considered upgrading, but if i'm correct, it seems that adding more cores wouldn't solve anything.

I've looked through the arma config documentation, looking for performance options, and while there were a few that looked promising, they had no noticeable effect on my server's performance. (cpucount, exthreads)

I read on some other threads in the forums that getting moved to a machine with faster cores might help, so i opened up a support ticket and was told that while there are machines with faster cores available, it may still not help solve my issue.

So...here I am. Anybody else out there running arma 2 on a VDS? If so, which package do you have? How is your server running? Anybody have any tips or tricks for getting arma to run more smoothly on a VDS system?

Thanks in advance!