DayZ Setup

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
metalrulz
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

DayZ Setup

Post by metalrulz »

Has anyone set up a DayZ server on a managed vds here?I for the life of me can't figure out where i'm going wrong and could use loads of help to get it going.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: DayZ Setup

Post by Edge100x »

From the DayZ developer's thread, it sounds as though they really designed it not to be used on shared/managed hosting. I'm not sure that we have any customers who have tried to do it. Some customers have done it with developer assistance on unmanaged VDSes/unmanaged dedicated servers, though.
metalrulz
New to forums
New to forums

Post by metalrulz »

Yeah i figured as much.Do they really have to make running a mod so difficult?The least they could do is try and get out to the top server providers and and provide support for it so people like us can get it running.Oh well such is life i guess :(
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

metalrulz wrote:Yeah i figured as much.Do they really have to make running a mod so difficult?The least they could do is try and get out to the top server providers and and provide support for it so people like us can get it running.Oh well such is life i guess :(

According to the requirements for the mod they require that they get remote desktop to the machine and install/manage the server themselves.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
metalrulz
New to forums
New to forums

Post by metalrulz »

Yeah at one time it was only rdp boxes but they changed it.

UPDATE 14-MAY-2012
For any server admins who have been hesitant to give RDP information to us, then don't be afraid, we are opening the doors for everyone to setup their own DayZ servers! (Server admins who give Devs RDP will have priority in regards to new files, updates, restarts etc)

UPDATE 5-JUNE-2012
RDP is not required, it is discouraged. You may provide RDP to a volunteer or another server admin to help them assist with your install. These details will not be recorded by DayZ. Be CAREFUL who you provide your RDP details to as DayZ will never demand you provide these details.

They're not sure what they want to do apparently.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, they've been changing their requirements over time. But, I don't think that they support shared hosting yet, and haven't contacted us yet.

My impression is that they are being careful with who they allow to run servers and that they want to maintain a solid level of control over the servers that are being put up.
Chernarus
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chernarus »

They don't require RDP details anymore as their way of doing things ended up being extremely insecure, so their forum database was copied and the email that they stored RDP details on was accessed by some random skiddie.
Basically they have a whitelist system setup to prevent people who don't agree to their policy from hosting servers and banning a player, therefor having him loose whatever stuff he had saved on the server such as tents/vehicles.

VDS could handle DayZ server, but if you want performance buy NFOServers' dedi packages.
Hoster of some random DayZ and ArmA2 server.. in the top 50 servers most of the time.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Ultimately the biggest thing with attempting to run a DayZ server right now is the fact that DayZ requires an Arma 2 beta version. This being the case that means the launch executable of an arma2 server be able to be modified.

I've actually ALMOST got a DayZ running on a managed VDS myself limited by this (and some configuration stuff, as well as approval from the DayZ staff).

After that I might actually be able to write a up a howto for NFO VDS customers :) (assuming i can get it to work)
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

and after some perusing I find that it's already posted that NFO won't do this... oh well. I've been patient about other games... (Cough: Nuclear Dawn, I know not as much a following as hoped)
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

I have to ask one thing, private hives are becoming more and more popular. That being the case. Could it be feasible to create an "allow arma 2 beta" on/off switch (recommend NOT doing it), and allow the consumer to select which arma beta to use within the managed servers? If so this can allow for Arma 2 subscribers to upload the necessary Day Z files manually for a private hive and run Day Z assuming they configure it correctly. I mean I personally can (and know how) to do this. This way, you, NFO can maintain whether a particular executable can be ran (by allowing/denying certain betas), you may even allow like "last 3 betas" or something like that.

I understand this is kind of a pretty "up there" request. But due to limited support from the developer you can claim you're unable to fully support Day Z until the Day Z development team accept NFO as an official provider. I would have no problem with a response like this.

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

If not, that's fine with me... but I was just wondering.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Adding a selectable beta switcher is something we have had planned for a little while but never got around to it due to other things that took priority.

I have also contacted DayZ about inquiring more information on if they plan to have some type of recommended, or official host. So far I have not heard back.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Hey thanks for the update. Because I'd love to run (even a private hive), but I've used NFO off and on for years (since all it hosted was Unreal, GoldSRC (HL1), and Quake games!) and I really really don't want to go anywhere else. I have no problem uploading the DayZ files to my FTP myself, right now using a managed VDS because 1 convenience of automated systems is great, and 2 I wanted to run a ranked BF3 server on top of my other servers. Any time I can I recommend people to NFO when they ask.

Anyway, thanks again for the update. Would love to see either Arma 2 beta or DayZ support int he future.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

FlyingMongoose wrote:Hey thanks for the update. Because I'd love to run (even a private hive), but I've used NFO off and on for years (since all it hosted was Unreal, GoldSRC (HL1), and Quake games!) and I really really don't want to go anywhere else. I have no problem uploading the DayZ files to my FTP myself, right now using a managed VDS because 1 convenience of automated systems is great, and 2 I wanted to run a ranked BF3 server on top of my other servers. Any time I can I recommend people to NFO when they ask.

Anyway, thanks again for the update. Would love to see either Arma 2 beta or DayZ support int he future.
It is something that has definitely been on our radar, however after looking in to it and observing the current system I personally believe Dayz has a ways to go before we can officially support it. At the current moment I have set my sights on the standalone version of DayZ and will brush up more on it as they release more details.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

It may be some time on that though, some people are speculating it will be on the Arma 3 engine. Though I would not know myself.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Only time will tell :/

I routinely check up on DayZ so if something changes I can pass that on to John and see if we would be able to add official support.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!