Is it possible to retain servers when switching between Wind

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Is it possible to retain servers when switching between Wind

Post by IcEWoLF »

Is there going to be a way for servers to be converted from Windows to Linux without having to wipe your servers? I think especially for CS:S servers that should be the case.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Is it possible to retain servers when switching between

Post by Vanderburg »

At the moment, no, because when you switch from Windows to Linux, you are installing a new operating system, not moving the server between machines.
Sna.ke
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sna.ke »

Migrating from Windows to Linux or vice-versa is a more difficult task than from one server to another. There are different binaries, some mod config files are slightly different (especially those that reference .so on *NIX and .dll on Windows).

They would pretty much need to setup your new server, then try and match the installs (mods, etc) then migrate the config files and update any references.

Half the time it would probably break :P
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

I think it would be doable if you mainly run CS:S/TF2/L4D2 server, the system could simply say that the following servers are windows only and that it would delete the servers that are incompatible.

It's a pain to try to switch systems because I wish people would be able to retain their IP addresses.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We have a converter for to managed Windows, that appears on the "Server control" page when a VDS qualifies for it. It's rarely used nowadays, but was used at one time by customers switching from Managed Windows 2003 to Managed Windows 2008 R2.

I don't currently have plans to add another converter to go from Windows to Linux, mostly because I have not seen demand for it yet. If there is sufficient demand, I can add it to my "to do".
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Edge100x wrote:We have a converter for to managed Windows, that appears on the "Server control" page when a VDS qualifies for it. It's rarely used nowadays, but was used at one time by customers switching from Managed Windows 2003 to Managed Windows 2008 R2.

I don't currently have plans to add another converter to go from Windows to Linux, mostly because I have not seen demand for it yet. If there is sufficient demand, I can add it to my "to do".
That makes sense, thanks. :)