Which package to order to run DayZ?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Which package to order to run DayZ?

Post by IcEWoLF »

Hey guys, which package in the game server list (for Arma2) can someone order so they can run DayZ mod?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Which package to order to run DayZ?

Post by Edge100x »

DayZ won't work with our shared/managed server plans yet (http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =60&t=7615), but many customers run it successfully on unmanaged VDSes. We recommend going with a 3-core or better if you plan to run DayZ, as it tends to soak up at two full cores and a couple of gigabytes of RAM all on its own.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

I see, damn, it's a shame that it won't work on managed servers :(
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

IcEWoLF wrote:I see, damn, it's a shame that it won't work on managed servers :(
After spending about a month with DayZ it is really for the best. The mod is still really buggy and there requirements are really strict.

When the game is a little older and stops requiring the beta there is a good chance we may support it.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

kraze wrote:
IcEWoLF wrote:I see, damn, it's a shame that it won't work on managed servers :(
After spending about a month with DayZ it is really for the best. The mod is still really buggy and there requirements are really strict.

When the game is a little older and stops requiring the beta there is a good chance we may support it.
Looks like (another competitor) is already providing DayZ servers and they are already white-listed and approved so people can rent this out right away without having to apply to host a dayz server, hopefully we will see NFo offer a similar feature soon.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

IcEWoLF wrote:
kraze wrote:

Looks like (another competitor) is already providing DayZ servers and they are already white-listed and approved so people can rent this out right away without having to apply to host a dayz server, hopefully we will see NFo offer a similar feature soon.
It is definitely possible down the road, and I continue to work with DayZ on a daily basis to see if someone I can get it to work here using the beta but so far no luck.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yep, several companies are offering DayZ, but nobody's doing a particularly good job of it yet. The difficulty in hosting it comes from a number of factors, including that it's in alpha and constantly changing, and that it's a huge resource hog. We've heard many horror stories from those using other hosts who just don't understand how to handle these.

Running it on an unmanaged VDS would actually be the most cost-effective way to go, even compared to other hosts that do offer this through a regular setup option.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Edge100x wrote:Yep, several companies are offering DayZ, but nobody's doing a particularly good job of it yet. The difficulty in hosting it comes from a number of factors, including that it's in alpha and constantly changing, and that it's a huge resource hog. We've heard many horror stories from those using other hosts who just don't understand how to handle these.

Running it on an unmanaged VDS would actually be the most cost-effective way to go, even compared to other hosts that do offer this through a regular setup option.
Yup, spend a few minutes on the server section of the DayZ forums and you will read some stories..
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Be prepared.

Reading the requirements for the servers, now I can uncerstand why hosts charge so much.
A server can use nearly 2 TB of bandwidth per month.

One of our members got a server somewhere. Didn't say.
Since he's paying the full cost, don't really care.
It runs really smooth.

The game itself since recently updated, is extremely bugged right now.
Go near some of the large cities, and your graphics go all screwy.
They call it seeing artifacts. Sucks running around not being able to see anything.
Supposedly they have an idea of the cause and soon will fix it.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
CactusJab
A regular
A regular

Post by CactusJab »

So, Just to be Clear,
if i was to order an unmanaged VDS, i would have to install the mod myself, or would the staff do that for me :-) (fingers crossed)

i saw today in the Server browser, there was a server "hosted by NFOservers.com"

you are right no one else is doing a good job hosting, i am having a horrible time dealing with other providers.
NFO has always been the best and i would certainly like to stay here rather than deal with another.
thats the reason i switched everything over here, because you have the best service and support.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Right now, you'd have to install the server yourself on an unmanaged VDS. We can answer any questions that you may have about it here in the forums, though :).
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Yes, you would need to install it yourself however with the great connection speed on our VDS's you can have everything downloaded in 30 minutes.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
CactusJab
A regular
A regular

Post by CactusJab »

how many slots would be good for a 4 core vds and how many slots would be good for a 6 core?
imagine the server is populated and at capacity. what server limit would allow them to perform well for all players involved?
of course no one wants to lag and , etc whatever...
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

CactusJab wrote:how many slots would be good for a 4 core vds and how many slots would be good for a 6 core?
imagine the server is populated and at capacity. what server limit would allow them to perform well for all players involved?
of course no one wants to lag and , etc whatever...
That is a tough question to answer with DayZ, as I have a full server use 1.7Gb of ram and a server with only 10 people using 2GB. However a good base number is that a full 40-50 slot servers will use two full HT cores and around 2-2.5GB of ram.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
CactusJab
A regular
A regular

Post by CactusJab »

Thats cool, i should have asked for an estimation, your best guess.

Thank you