Using TCP Optimizer to increase network performance?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Peep
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Using TCP Optimizer to increase network performance?

Post by Peep »

I've been following instructions from this thread on the DayZ forums in an attempt to increase performance on my DayZ server: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/top ... rformance/

Now, a lot of these settings seem to have some controversy around them, as I think some of them can be dangerous or cause decreased performance. I'd like to know which ones these are if anybody knows. I haven't used the exact settings from that thread, instead I set TCP Optimizer to it's "Optimized" setting and I also run a private HIVE server which means it runs a local SQL database and I have it running on an SSD.

With all of these combined, I seem to be running one of the best performing and fastest loading DayZ servers right now, however..

I'm seeing a desync icon every once in awhile, and while it doesn't seem to effect anything ingame I'm sure it's showing up for a reason.

I'm thinking the culprit is one of the TCP optimizer settings, or this specific setting in my server.cfg: class sockets{maxPacketSize=2048;};

Any input or help would be highly appreciated.

Edit: I'm currently running the server in realtime priority, is this even a good idea?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Using TCP Optimizer to increase network performance?

Post by kraze »

Last I heard DayZ doesn't use TCP to communicate, it does everything over UDP. So it is unlikely that is the cause of your issue.

However what is CPU usage looking like on your VDS when the desync occurs?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Peep
A regular
A regular

Post by Peep »

If it's full, we average around 70-80% CPU usage, however it also does the desync even more if there are less players online. Which is why I think it's one of my network settings somewhere. However, like I said it doesn't desync like a normal server. Nobody stays in place and you can look just as fast as always, I was just thinking there was something else slowing down which is why it would do that.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

80% is pretty high and it could definitely be part of your problem. Are you running multiple servers from your VDS? If so try turning off one of them to see if you can lower CPU usage.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Chernarus
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Chernarus »

DayZ servers will eat 90% of your core. TCP is used when communicating with the main MySQL database, it might improved loadtimes if you disabled TCPAck but could cause corruption. Don't do it.
Hoster of some random DayZ and ArmA2 server.. in the top 50 servers most of the time.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That guide is OK, but its recommendation that you run the game at real-time priority should not be followed. We have noticed problems with most games when run at real-time priority, since the system has truly more important tasks to perform at that level (timer interrupts, paging, network-related tasks, etc), and when the game server soaks up all processing power, it will preempt those. DayZ servers more often soak up all CPU cycles than other games.

I recommend running at "high" priority at most. Either "high" or "abovenormal" will put the game above nearly every other process, including those spawned by your own management activities.

If you have another dependent service running on the same machine, such as MySQL, make sure that it also runs at the same (or higher) priority, or you could run into the problem of one game server thread waiting on the other service while its remaining threads continue to churn through all available CPU, starving that service and in turn preventing the thread from proceeding.