Networking on Ubuntu 12.04 not working after upgrade

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
rivanor
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Networking on Ubuntu 12.04 not working after upgrade

Post by rivanor »

rivanor wrote:Any chance you could setup a temporary fresh 12.04 install on your end that I could poke around with and compare, or would that be too much effort?
Nevermind about this. I successfully got XenServer running inside VirtualBox using VirtualBox's "Host Only" networking mode and my ubuntu 12.04 VM (inside XenServer, yes it is complicated) can successfully ping the XenServer VM so I am going to say that I've got networking working on a fresh 12.04 ubuntu VM. I've been poking around so far and not finding much. I will post more if I find something.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

A virtual within a virtual? That just sounds painful, especially when issues arrise. Virtualbox is terrible, I used it for a while and found it to be more painful than Hyper-V.
rivanor
New to forums
New to forums

Post by rivanor »

Welp, I spent what felt like an hour comparing my local 12.04 VM with my NFO 12.04 VM and there were a few differences which may or may not matter. The 'dmesg' was somewhat different on each of them. Unfortunately, without network support on my local VM, I was not able to capture the dmesg output and create a nice diff.

On my local, it said "Xen version: 4.1.3" and on the nfo it said the version was 4.1; don't know if it makes any difference.

I am growing weary of trying to figure out what the problem is so I am giving up on this. If anyone who has a vanilla 12.04 install wants to chime in, you are more than welcome :)