Arma2 CO server desyncing

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Arma2 CO server desyncing

Post by axRhino »

We have noticed that our ARMA2 Combined Ops server starts to suffer from desyncing (broken red chain) when our player count gets to about 20.

This results in lag, broken audio, rubberbanding, warping etc.
What can we do about this? Is it the VDS's performance?
ArmA2 is VERY bad about not using multiple cores. So it may indeed that the VDS is getting overloaded.

What VDS setup are you running right now?
We have a managed VDS with 4 cores.

How do we optimize its use of multiple cores to improve performance?
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Arma2 CO server desyncing

Post by Caliban55 »

axRhino wrote:We have noticed that our ARMA2 Combined Ops server starts to suffer from desyncing (broken red chain) when our player count gets to about 20.

This results in lag, broken audio, rubberbanding, warping etc.
What can we do about this? Is it the VDS's performance?
ArmA2 is VERY bad about not using multiple cores. So it may indeed that the VDS is getting overloaded.

What VDS setup are you running right now?
We have a managed VDS with 4 cores.

How do we optimize its use of multiple cores to improve performance?
ArmA2:OA already has a good use of multiple cores and does that automatically. What you can try to do is take a look in your basic.cfg file and try to change a few variables, in this case:

MaxMsgSend and MinBandwidth

Don't expect miracles though. What I think the problem is, is that the mission is too complex (or has grown to complex after running for some time) for this server with the number of connected players. This happens. You can try to take a look at the server FPS (here is a link where I explain how to do this: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =83&t=7776 ) with the #monitor command. The only solution would be to use server that has more CPU resources, or try to use a different mission, or limit the number of player connections (to 10 - 15 then).

Here is also a link to the BI wiki that deals with basic.cfg tweaking:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/basic.cfg
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by axRhino »

Our server is running the default basic.crf as installed by nfo.

MinBandwidth=15000000;
MaxBandwidth=100000000;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=64;
MinErrorToSend=0.0024999999;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
Windowed=0;
language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1000000;
Resolution_Bpp=32;

NFO is there anything you can do to the VDS setup to prioritize the Arma 2 performance?
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

You can try to play around with the MaxBandwidth parameter a bit and monitor the effect. In the example, the value ist set to MaxBandwidth=10000000000, we use on our server MaxBandwidth=2147483647.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

NFO is there anything you can do to the VDS setup to prioritize the Arma 2 performance?
On our end, VDSes are tweaked to the gills for all types of games (all games have similar requirements in terms of being latency-sensitive and CPU intensive). We could try moving you to another machine, though, if you'd like, and if another one is available for use at your location.