Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Choke

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
p3dsman
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Choke

Post by p3dsman »

I have really enjoyed nfoservers and trying to solve this last little hiccup. maybe someone here can help. I have a VDS with ONE source dedicated server running HL2DM, 14 player slots. No matter what map it is on, even stock maps, no plugins, I start to see choke when 8 or more players are in the server playing. Choke stays at 4-15 when server is busy. Is there some setting I need to tweak in my server.cfg to get this to go away or be absolute minimal?

Here are the server settings I use for my rates:

Code: Select all

fps_max 0

net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000	
net_queued_packet_thread 1

sv_stats 0
sv_region 0

sv_parallel_packentities 0
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 0

sv_max_queries_sec 3
sv_max_queries_sec_global 100000

sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxrate 0
sv_minupdaterate 67
sv_maxupdaterate 67
sv_mincmdrate 67
sv_maxcmdrate 67
sv_client_cmdrate_difference 1

sv_timeout 120

tv_enable 0
Is there anything I can tweak or try here? Is there something I am missing on adding to my config?

Thanks in advance!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Choke

Post by Edge100x »

Choke is always about rates, but those seem reasonable. Are other config files overriding these anywhere?

It is possible that HL2MP has a different maximum rate than TF2. If that's the case, it would not be a good thing, but would potentially cause your problem.
p3dsman
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by p3dsman »

Edge100x wrote:Choke is always about rates, but those seem reasonable. Are other config files overriding these anywhere?

It is possible that HL2MP has a different maximum rate than TF2. If that's the case, it would not be a good thing, but would potentially cause your problem.
Talk about fast! You guys are awesome here. Nothing is over riding any settings, made double-sure of that. The server runs fantastic until it starts loading up with players. funny thing is I have watched the CPU on the VDS as well, and it never has gone past 40%, memory is always low and plenty free as well. This is on Ubuntu Linux LTS 12.04. I keep thinking I could tweak one of those settings above to more/less, just not sure which ones. Don't want to alter the ones that are right ya know? Another thing that tells me I could really make some minor adjustment somewhere, is when using net_graph 3, the visual graph will actually show gaps every once in a while, more so when the choke is happening. There has to be something to try. On another note, I will be more than happy to post back here when this gets solved. thanks again.
p3dsman
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by p3dsman »

Here is an image of the net_graph just now, 12/14 players in the server.
Attachments
Server Choke, with 12/14 players
Server Choke, with 12/14 players
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Does everyone see this choke when the player count creeps up?

I wasn't able to find much on the maxrate for HL2DM but some good test would be to set it at;

sv_maxrate 9999
sv_maxrate 30000

Also what is your server IP? I wouldn't mind connecting and taking a look to see if I get some choke as-well.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
p3dsman
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by p3dsman »

kraze wrote:Does everyone see this choke when the player count creeps up?

I wasn't able to find much on the maxrate for HL2DM but some good test would be to set it at;
I haven't been able to verify unfortunately, I just try to go off of what is commented in the chat, and when I can get answers from the players. Would much appreciate any feedback, I work really hard to keep this server top-notch and my part to keep the HL2DM community alive. I spend at least 4 hours a day with the server.
kraze wrote: Also what is your server IP? I wouldn't mind connecting and taking a look to see if I get some choke as-well.
.:: Scorp's KillBox Mausoleum ::. STATS | FAST D/L
66.151.244.149:27015

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Your transfer rate was crazy when you took that screen shot, showing that the last packet was 952 bytes in size and that you were receiving >62 k/s worth of data. If you're seeing this frequently, it's no surprise that you're having choke, because the game has an internal limit somewhere (though it's unclear where).

I'd normally recommend that you try dropping your cl_updaterate value, but it looks as though you already have that set very low. I'm not sure what else you can do here to try to reduce the amount of data put out by the server.
crs4380
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by crs4380 »

Maybe you could try replicating the problem on your own machine. For example, install virtualbox and load up your flavor of linux.
p3dsman
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by p3dsman »

crs4380 wrote:Maybe you could try replicating the problem on your own machine. For example, install virtualbox and load up your flavor of linux.
I have something like that setup, but the bad thing about doing it that way is I cannot ever get the server filled up because its a home internet connection, therefore pings will be higher, and players are more reluctant to join because of it. I could always get a large lan party going on and do some experimenting though :)

Edge100x wrote:Your transfer rate was crazy when you took that screen shot, showing that the last packet was 952 bytes in size and that you were receiving >62 k/s worth of data. If you're seeing this frequently, it's no surprise that you're having choke, because the game has an internal limit somewhere (though it's unclear where).

I'd normally recommend that you try dropping your cl_updaterate value, but it looks as though you already have that set very low. I'm not sure what else you can do here to try to reduce the amount of data put out by the server.

Agreed. it's driving me crazy lol! I am starting to think that the problem might be all of the physics within HL2DM. Most FPS on the source engine dont have health packs, armor, guns, ammo, and physics props...all laying on the floor all over. I counted over 200 physics objects alone on one map! With each of those being a physics object, would think that would put more load on the rates and server. I have tested one way on this, if I throw a grenade into an area that has a lot of phys objects, the red on the net_graph spikes hard. In the net_graph legend, it is also showing that red is entities, or all of the described above. It would be VERY useful if valve would just make entities like this static...simple fix! I am really starting to wonder if that is the underlying issue....

I have experimented to no avail to get it resolved. Thankfully, the server is still VERY playable and runs great. I used to see choke in the 30's before making adjustments to the rates, and I rarely see any comments in chat about "lag", so that alone is a huge improvement. If I find out anything, I will be sure and post back here. Thanks for all the help!!!
Spifft
A regular
A regular

Post by Spifft »

The red is entity count correct?

If so there lies your problem. Much like Zombie Escape maps and mini game maps for CSS/GO.

Are you running any plugins that add any type of entity that is dropped from a player action "death/spawn/takendmg"?

Or is it just standard DM that is causing this?

I believe there is a plugin for Source that can limit server entities to 1024 or less. But you would have to decrease the time in which health packs and such sit on the ground I think. (which is a good diea any how).

Also custom models of High Res can cause this sometimes.
AciDPuke
A regular
A regular

Post by AciDPuke »

below is my server config for HL2DM...im in Los Angeles (managed 4 core VDS)... have not had any noticeable Choke with up to 16 players. feel free to test it out for comparison.

66.150.155.34:27015

hostname "Chopping Block ={X}="
fps_max 0
mp_timelimit 100
mp_fraglimit 100
mp_teamplay 0
mp_weaponstay 0
mp_footsteps 1
mp_flashlight 1
mp_forcerespawn 0
decalfrequency 60
mp_decals 100
mp_falldamage 0
sv_allow_voice_from_file 0
sv_cheats 0
sv_maxrate 0
sv_minrate 100000
sv_timeout 120
sv_gravity 600
sv_allowupload 0
sv_allowdownload 1
sv_voiceenable 1
sv_maxupdaterate 66
sv_minupdaterate 20
sv_mincmdrate 30
sv_maxcmdrate 66
sv_max_queries_sec 3
sv_max_queries_sec_global 100000
sv_parallel_packentities 0
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 0
sv_stats 0
sv_region 1
sv_password ""
exec banned_user.cfg
writeid
mapcyclefile mapcycle.txt
heartbeat
net_queued_packet_thread 1
net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000
log 1
tv_enable 0
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Sorry to raise an old thread, but I see you still have your server up. You may want to try this:

net_maxcleartime .01

That fixes the small amount of choke we see on our 60 slot ZE server. Also note that even though net_splitpacket_maxrate is 100k, you will see choke before you hit 100k of data, raising it would be a decent choice.

We run quite a high number for a 60 slot server(but we don't run into much entity data), and we get some choke around 120k of data.

Same with your minrate setting, 60k of in data is about the limit for that, try "rate 999999" in your console and see how it goes
Not a NFO employee
Wronged1428
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Wronged1428 »

Acid, are you still hosting Chopping House? There are about 40 of us who play each day. Wanted to reach out to you, first to say thanks for hosting after all of these years. Also, the server has been spiking last 24-hours--and there is a hacker that is ruining the game.

If you see this, maybe we can chat.
AciDPuke wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:46 am below is my server config for HL2DM...im in Los Angeles (managed 4 core VDS)... have not had any noticeable Choke with up to 16 players. feel free to test it out for comparison.

66.150.155.34:27015

hostname "Chopping Block ={X}="
fps_max 0
mp_timelimit 100
mp_fraglimit 100
mp_teamplay 0
mp_weaponstay 0
mp_footsteps 1
mp_flashlight 1
mp_forcerespawn 0
decalfrequency 60
mp_decals 100