Managed VDS Voice Servers

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Blackglade
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Managed VDS Voice Servers

Post by Blackglade »

So i was recently trying to aquire a voice server for my gaming group and i contacted NFO Support about it. According to them, licensing issues prevent them from allowing me to get a voice server. Why is this? Mumble and TeamSpeak 3 allow voice servers with no charge for the individual and upto 50 slots. I am an individual who would like a voice server on my box and since i can not access my box on my managed VDS i can not get a server running? This is very frustrating and annoying and i would really appreciate it if you guys somehow make it so that i can set up a Voice Server for a limited # of slots.

Here is another less likely option i would encourage you to consider. Make a system where the managed VDS is actually both manages and unmanaged. Let me explain. Why do you guys not allow us access to a managed VDS. It is obviously because of the simple fact that your company developed the software and is in entirety the sole owner of it. It would really be a shame if someone stole it from you and god forbid hacked the site. However what you could do is assign a user client to the VDS making it so the user can NOT edit any of the server files or open them (simply by putting them into a directory in which the account will not have access). That way i will both have access to my VDS and wont have FULL access at the same time so i wont be able to look at the software. This would be very helpful because in turn it would allow me to use my VDS for other things such as VOICE SERVERS. Just an idea in the process and i hope that you consider it. Thank you and have a nice day :)
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Managed VDS Voice Servers

Post by squirrelof09 »

Just for note, NFO can't provide you a TS3 server because licensing does not allow profit organizations to resell or even offer it to you for free. The only way to get a TS3 server without paying for slots is going unmanaged and being entirely non-profit yourself. not even donations. .

They are very strict about this and do monitor NPL usage http://sales.teamspeakusa.com/licensing.php
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

In addition to having proprietary software on the machines, by offering managed machines NFO can guarantee performance of their machines. If they allow you to run custom software it may make it very difficult to resolve any issues you may have in the future.

As for the teamspeak server, once again it comes down to having very specific software on the machine. While I don't think teamspeak takes much resources(unless you enable voice encryption), having strictly game servers on your vds will make it easier to predict its performance.

No license TS3 servers are up to 32, a non-profit license allows i think 10 virtual servers and 512 slots.
Not a NFO employee
Blackglade
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Blackglade »

Sorry but i meant to reference voice servers in general so mumble would also be considered an option incase team speak 3 doesn't work.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Doesn't really change anything I said, in any case it would justify my statement more because mumble supports higher encryption if I remember correctly(which requires more resources)
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We just aren't set up to offer voice servers on any sort of managed VDS right now, just as we aren't set up to offer webhosting on a managed VDS. It's theoretically possible to do it, and at some point we may be able to support voice servers on managed Linux VDSes. If we do, we most likely would have to use our own license and require payment for slots in advance in order to cover our own licensing fees, because we would technically be the party running the server. It would also be complicated to try to navigate running other licenses on our machines for clients.

Offering shell accounts on managed machines that run game servers is not something that will be possible due to contractual obligations and security concerns. For that type of access, you will need to rent a separate unmanaged VDS.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

blackglade, add me on steam: soja992 (http://steamcommunity.com/id/soja992)
Not a NFO employee
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

TS3 only offers up to 35 slots. Not 50.
You have to apply to get more.
Our clan applied for more slots and they refused because we have Google ads on our website.
They are idiots.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/