Using VPS as reverse proxy?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Ultimate7egacy
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Using VPS as reverse proxy?

Post by Ultimate7egacy »

Hi I was wondering if I could use a nfoserver vps as a reverse proxy? I want to use it so all the connections go through the nfoserver vps and then onto my dedicated server where my gameserver is hosted.
BrendanG
Staff
Staff

Re: Using VPS as reverse proxy?

Post by BrendanG »

This may be best handled through a Support request. However for the most part if it is not "illegal" Or a violation of our Terms of Use. Then it is accepted. To be sure however please send in a request and we can send it over to John our CEO to confirm that it would be fine.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Sounds like a legitimate purpose to me.
Ultimate7egacy
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Ultimate7egacy »

Could I have some help setting it up as well?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

This is the right place to ask software questions about an unmanaged service. I haven't set up reverse proxies before myself, but I know of them, and I can help you Google solutions. Some customers may also have run these.
Ultimate7egacy
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Ultimate7egacy »

Do you have skype or something where we can just message each other back and forth quicker?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I do not have the time to dedicate to chat, as I'm always busy with a wide variety of tasks. Chat also wouldn't work well for something like this that needs to be researched. It would be best to make posts.
Ultimate7egacy
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Ultimate7egacy »

So I was thinking about using iptables for the task, thing is I'm not experienced at all with iptables and could use the most bit of help.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

For a reverse proxy, you would need to use software like Squid or Varnish.
Ultimate7egacy
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Ultimate7egacy »

I don't want to reverse proxy websites, I want to reverse proxy different ports that are not related to webhosts.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That is a very unusual request. Is your goal here to use us for DDoS protection?
Ultimate7egacy
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Ultimate7egacy »

My goal is to hide my dedicated server's ip with the help of your vps which I want to use a reverse proxy and since you guys have a really good firewall it would help with ddos protection as well.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

For that sort of purpose, it might be better to consider a host that provides targeted DDoS mitigation. We may be good at it here (and certainly better than loads of fly-by-night hosts that claim to offer DDoS services but show that they have no idea what they're doing by choosing small links and undersized network appliances), but we can't provide a DDoS attack SLA or other guarantee in reference to attacks.

It also would likely be more cost-effective and potentially much higher-performance to run the services directly from the VDS or a dedicated server with us.

In terms of the technical bits behind what you want to do, unless your software is designed with proxies in mind, you would need to use a tunnel (such as a GRE tunnel, combined with some NAT on the dedicated server side) or a VPN (with your dedicated server as a VPN client) -- and it will get hairy pretty fast. This is also something that there's likely not a lot of readily-available information on how to do. It's been awhile since I've done anything with tunnels myself, and my last experience with them on FreeBSD.