Pre-Sale Question (Dedicated)

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Pre-Sale Question (Dedicated)

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Hello, My ISP sucks, and they are a monopoly so there is nothing to do with my ISP, hope you are able to help me with this =)

Anyway, since both are the same, do you recommend me NYC? or do i should run the same test from other countries first (like chile or agentina)?

I was reading that vds comes with a firewall? What is it? im using outpost pro security (which comes with a good firewall and anti-virus)

About DDoS Attacks NYC is better than Atlant, doesn't it?

About performance, i have dilemma:

Assuming i have 200$ to spent per vds or dedicated:

E3-1270: Screaming-fast Sandy Bridge-based machine (Dedicated) cost 200$
&
Twelve core: Our current top plan (vds) cost 200$ too

Which one has best performance? What are they pro and cons? (Assuming that i wont run any of your listed managed or unmaganed games)

Thanks..
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I would recommend the location that other people you know will also perform well at. You should have them run their own tests.

The firewall for our VDSes is external to the VDS and available through our control panel. It is best for handling Denial of Service attacks and has advanced filters not available through most 3rd party firewalls. You can also run your own, if you wish, but usually client-oriented firewalls and anti-malware programs aren't used on servers for performance reasons. Make sure to also follow our basic security recommendations here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=5059

Both locations can handle similar DDoS attacks. NYC has more bandwidth available, but this hasn't come up yet with the attacks customers have seen.

Again, it is difficult to guess the performance of your application, but I still recommend a VDS.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Ok, i will ask my customers to make their own test to see what is better.

That firewall are able to set rules? its shared firewall? i mean all vds inside the machine share the same firewall? What firewall is it?

I see, but NYC still better than Atlanta, doesn't it?

And about the vds or dedi, ya vps is cheaper and seems to be better, but why i should go dedicated against a vds? Just give me a reason (Don't say if i want to create vds inside it).

Thanks
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Please answer the questions above :(
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

These have mostly been addressed already. But, I will recap and elaborate.
That firewall are able to set rules? its shared firewall? i mean all vds inside the machine share the same firewall? What firewall is it?
You have your own Firewall page where you set your own rules that are individual to your VDS. The firewall is based on features in Xen/Linux.
I see, but NYC still better than Atlanta, doesn't it?
If you expect to see attacks in excess of 10 Gbps, which is the only point at which it would matter, I strongly advise you to look for another host that specializes in DDoS mitigation, or proxying through such a host.
And about the vds or dedi, ya vps is cheaper and seems to be better, but why i should go dedicated against a vds? Just give me a reason (Don't say if i want to create vds inside it).
A dedicated server has more dedicated hardware, since you don't have to share I/O with another customer. There is slightly less per-CPU overhead with a dedicated server due to the fact that it is not virtualized.

For most applications, a VDS is a better choice than a dedicated server. As we discussed previously, I mostly recommend dedicated servers over VDSes when the process a customer wishes to run is single-threaded and highly intensive to the point of consuming an entire CPU core.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Ok, i wont expect 10 gbps more attack. So it's fine i understood everything else :) Thanks btw.

Ok to put finish to all my doubts and close this thread and go to buy now i want to clarify something.

My GameServers are a MMORPG like WoW, Linage, RO, Knight Online, etc.

I have this option in order to active or desactive according to my needs for my gameserver and its subservers:

Code: Select all

IOCPOneThreadPerCore	= 0	       ; 0 = Two Threads Per Core (Default) / 1 = One Thread Per Core (ONLY If You Got 8 Cores With 4+ SubServers)
Here is a picture of all my aplications running:

Maybe this can give you an idea of what i need. I wont run anything else than what you see in that image, only more subserver is my server growth

Thanks you so much for help me to fit my requirements.

btw: There is a space to fill a coupon code, where i can get a coupon code?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It might be worth experimenting with different settings for that variable.

We do not currently have any coupon codes. We are running a VDS sale right now, though, so it's a very good time to buy.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Edge100x wrote:It might be worth experimenting with different settings for that variable.

We do not currently have any coupon codes. We are running a VDS sale right now, though, so it's a very good time to buy.
I dont get it, what do you mean with "experimenting"?

What do you recommend me with that image? (That's a E3-1230 dedicated server with 4 GB Ram and 60G SSD)

And what is VDS Sales? why it's a good time to buy?

(Damn im so annoying)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You told me that you have a configuration variable for your application that relates to how it sets core affinities. I said that it might be worth experimenting with the values of that variable.

This is the sale: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... f=6&t=8887. You do not have to do anything to take advantage of the sale prices, apart from purchasing a server.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Got it, it's possible to delete this thread? :3 i shared some information that i dont wanted to share :D

Im going to buy :) Hope you keep doing so better after the buy.
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by squirrelof09 »

A lot of good information in the thread.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

squirrelof09 wrote:A lot of good information in the thread.
Well let it open :3