Pre-Sale Question (Dedicated)

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Pre-Sale Question (Dedicated)

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Hello friends of NFOservers.com

I want to acquire some dedicated servers to host my GameServers, it's not any GameServer listed on your website, its a MU Server, but i have few question to be answered before i go on.

I saw that you have a DC at Atlanta with 10 TB Capacity where my ping is 122; i would like to choose it since im hosting for south america users and it has the best latency, but keep the eye in the next question:

1.- How do you deal with DDoS Attacks? Its very cheap do a DDoS attack from 1 Gbps upon 20 Gbps?
2.- In case im hitted with 20 Gbps what is ur procedure? Do you null my ip?
3.- What happens if latency arise from 122~130 ms to higher?
4.- Is there Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 Avialable? it has extra fee cost to be installed?
5.- What exactly is managed Server, how is that i cannot access to the machine? How i can update/configure/make backups it and the GameServers if i cannot access to it?
6.- If i choose unmanaged server, what login option do you provide me? RDP? Radmin? KVMoIP or anything else?
7.- Is there the posibility to pay for extra support if i choose unmanaged server? Like for one time job to your technicians?
8.- Same as 7.- If im not fully secure that im fully well configured my server in a safety way; is there a possible to hire one time job technicians to do that kind of job for a fee?
9.- There is a discount if i buy multiple Dedicateds?
10.- You say that E3-1270 only afford 250-300 users, i have over 500 users online, and i was using a same dedicated like this.
11.- Is there money-back guarantee?
12.- The DC has 10 TB Capacity, but the dedicated do too?
13.- Do you have a DNS panel?
14.- Is there any Third-Party Program installed on the machine that does not belong to windows system?
15.- Do we have remote options to reboot machine from a kind of User CP?
16.- Do we have graphics of our Brandwith and other stuff?
17.- What happend if you have a downtime? There is a reward for our losses?

Maybe i have more, but anyway, answer this please. Take more atention to DDoS Attacks, what im concerned.

Best Regards,
Random
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Pre-Sale Question (Dedicated)

Post by soja »

Hi, I am a customer of NFO but i will answer your questions as best I can, john(CEO) will probably reply in a few hours filling in any blanks/correcting me :)

Atlanta is 10Gbps capacity.

1. DDoS attacks are not as common as you may think, a DDoS of 10Gbps is pretty rare especially on something as meaningless as game servers. I have been it with 1Gbps now and then. Some locations have a dedicated hardware firewall, where if the attack is over 1Gbps(your servers port speed) NFO can step in and attempt to filter it with that. I'm not sure if Atlanta has one, but texas does, you should check your pings there and consider that location if you expecting to be attacked.

2. If there is no other option I would assume they would need to null the IP.

3. If there is a bad route on the internet, Internap(the bandwidth provider) has systems that will automatically re-route traffic to provide the best latency possible.

4. I cannot comment on that, but the recommended windows game server OS is 2008 R2. It is what NFO uses on their windows machines.

5. Managed means everything is done software and hardware wise by NFO. You will recieve access to a custom made control panel that allows you to install game servers to the machine at no extra charge. The only file access you have is FTP to the game server directory (excluding games like BF3/MoH:W that do not allow access to server files). The only games available on managed are ones supported by NFO, so if you want to run a game they do not support, it would be best to create an account and get in contact with them via a ticket to see if they can support the game. Managed also gives you an awesome Firewall tab that you can use to view and block small dos/ddos attacks.

6. un-managed windows would be RDP access. You also get the control panel to monitor bandwidth usage of the server.

7. I do not believe this is available, john can say for sure though.

8. same as 7

9. You would need to contact john privately to discuss that

10. That is based on Counter-Strike:Source servers. If you are running something like a MMO private server or something, this would be radically different. The E3-1270 is one of the fastest quad-core Xeons available. It takes a lot to stress it.

11. Dedicated servers at NFO are built from scratch and shipped to the data center. Due to this it is not possible to provide a money-back guarantee on dedis.

12. Dedicated servers have a standard 1Gbps port. 10Gbps NIC's are very expensive.

13. This might be available with a web hosting package, but I do not think dedicated servers come with this.

14. On un-managed no, you get a classic windows server. (speculated, I have a linux dedi)

15. http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =48&t=3699

16. Yes

17. Yes, there is a credit system in place in case of any downtime, but don't expect downtime with nfo :) Short of a natural disaster, nothing takes them down :)

If you have further questions, check out the dedi FAQ: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

soja basically nailed it. Here is my official response, though.
Random wrote:I saw that you have a DC at Atlanta with 10 TB Capacity where my ping is 122; i would like to choose it since im hosting for south america users and it has the best latency, but keep the eye in the next question:
You might also consider and test NYC, as it tends to perform well to South America. I also strongly recommend starting with a VDS over a dedicated machine.
1.- How do you deal with DDoS Attacks? Its very cheap do a DDoS attack from 1 Gbps upon 20 Gbps?
2.- In case im hitted with 20 Gbps what is ur procedure? Do you null my ip?
We answer these here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =25&t=4931
3.- What happens if latency arise from 122~130 ms to higher?
We can take a look at your routing and see if it can be improved, if you'd like.
4.- Is there Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 Avialable? it has extra fee cost to be installed?
We don't support Enterprise but we could consider it on a case-by-case basis. I advise going with Windows 2008 R2, for performance reasons.
5.- What exactly is managed Server, how is that i cannot access to the machine? How i can update/configure/make backups it and the GameServers if i cannot access to it?
A managed server is not an option for you when running an application we don't support through our game server order page. We talk more about managed servers in its own KB section, starting with this post: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =51&t=4559
6.- If i choose unmanaged server, what login option do you provide me? RDP? Radmin? KVMoIP or anything else?
On Windows, you'd receive RDP access. On a VDS, you also have VNC access to the console directly.
7.- Is there the posibility to pay for extra support if i choose unmanaged server? Like for one time job to your technicians?
8.- Same as 7.- If im not fully secure that im fully well configured my server in a safety way; is there a possible to hire one time job technicians to do that kind of job for a fee?
You would have to arrange this through a third party, as we do not offer those services here.
9.- There is a discount if i buy multiple Dedicateds?
Not normally, but we could discuss it further in private.
10.- You say that E3-1270 only afford 250-300 users, i have over 500 users online, and i was using a same dedicated like this.
Our estimates are based on games that we run. Your game may be different.
11.- Is there money-back guarantee?
We have a performance guarantee but it does not offer money; instead, it provides credit. We describe it more here: https://www.nfoservers.com/performanceguarantee.php. We also offer a free trial on our VDSes, and I recommend taking advantage of that instead of jumping right to a dedicated server. In most cases, a VDS here is the better choice.
12.- The DC has 10 TB Capacity, but the dedicated do too?
Dedicated servers have 1 Gbps network adapters.
13.- Do you have a DNS panel?
Our hosted websites have a panel for this. You could purchase that service separately, buy DNS service from a third party, or run your own DNS server (not recommended).
14.- Is there any Third-Party Program installed on the machine that does not belong to windows system?
No.
15.- Do we have remote options to reboot machine from a kind of User CP?
Yes.
16.- Do we have graphics of our Brandwith and other stuff?
Yes.
17.- What happend if you have a downtime? There is a reward for our losses?
Yes, we have a 100% SLA: https://www.nfoservers.com/sla.php
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Ok everything seems fine but i want to clarify some issues

I read everything about DDoS attacks, i particulary know how easy is to ddos with 1 Gbps upon 20 Gbps, 20 Gpbs cost like 550$ usd, and 1 Gbps cost 5$ usd per month. So, its very easy to ddos something or someone. That's why im really concerned about DDoS Protection.

Here my questions:

1) If i get ddosed by 1 Gbps ~ 6 Gbps the 1 GB Uplink port wont support, i will suffer a disconnect before you apply the protection, isn't?

2) If i get ddosed by 10 Gbps ~ 20 Gbps InterNAP will null my IP, isn't? (Since its the easy way.)

3) Sometimes when the attacker knows that he's not hurting anyone they stop the attack, so if 1) happens, there is no matter if you put a filter for some hours, because he will attack again and again all days.

4) And About Latency, i want to ensure the best latency for my players especially those on argentina, is there any kind of TCP Buffer to improve the gameplay? What datacenter do you recommend me? Ping is one thing, the route is another fact.

That's it, DDoS and Latency, is everything that i wanna be answerd.

Thanks!!

BTW: How many days do you take to delivery my dedicated? (Website says 2~9 days), 9 days seems a little excesive.. i dont go for a vds because im running license software that i need to pay to move them from a machine to another machine. Moving them cost me almost a thousend of dollars. So, i prefer go for something solid, if NFO is what im reading here, i think go for dedicated wont be an issue.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If you conduct business in a professional manner, the likelihood of being attacked is quite low. It is extremely uncommon to be attacked while running a game server. I came to NFO for their DoS/DDoS protection, I was being attacked daily. Here I rarely get attacked, if so it is filtered automatically in most cases.

1. If it is a common attack it is possible NFO will automatically filter it, but you might suffer a disconnect before that happens.

2. yes, but like I said, the chance of being hit with that is very low. Any provider that is hit by a 10+gbps attack will null the IP, my old host did at at 100Mbit.

3. Not really a question.

4. Online games are traditionally UDP. A buffer is the worst thing you can do, if anything causing data to be streamed quicker is the best option. (See Leatrix Latency Fix for MMOs) Pings and routes are very similar, do a few traceroutes from the target area(if not you, then perhaps a friend) and see which is the shortest route.

9 days is probably just covering themselves if something goes wrong. I would expect delivery in 3-4 business days(do not count weekends)

VDS's can be upgraded with a simple reboot, up to 12 HT cores(50% more than a 1270). I do not think licensing software would have an issue with that. I could be wrong though.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Random, it's very hard to predict what you'd be hit with in advance unless you're already attracting attacks. Are you at another host and attracting large attacks right now?

In terms of availability and install timelines, please contact us directly and we can discuss that, as it changes daily.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Actually, im not beign attacking, at least not over 2 Gbps, the hosting where im host IRC And CamFrogs which are the target of those 40 Gbps attacks. He filter it, but sometimes it disconnect for 1~2 minutes, rest of day its normal, latency is over 185~190 for my counter, and over 240~260 for argentina.

Im sticky with them because they really have a good DDoS protection, but also have bad customers who are ddosed with high amount of Gbps. Addding the Latency, is why i want to move to another option.

Is it true, that the automatically filter can take delay and a small attack can reach me disconnecting my people?

Thanks for your atention, really.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

There is no button to edit posts? Im sorry if there is and i couldn't find it.

At [a hacking forum] you can pay monthly suscription for booters that has a power from 1 Gbps upon 7 Gbps with a price of 4$~30$ per month. Also its known that there is another such services like botnets which hit harder also for cheap price. That's why i really make a big deal with it.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You won't be able to host with us if you plan to run Camfrog, as we do not allow it.

40 Gbps would be too large for us to mitigate. We can mitigate attacks smaller than 10 Gbps relatively easily.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

i dont run IRC or CamFrogs...
Actually, im not beign attacking, at least not over 2 Gbps, the hosting where im host IRC And CamFrogs which are the target of those 40 Gbps attacks.
About what that mate said, that vds comes with extra firewall service?

Which one is better:

E3-1270: Screaming-fast Sandy Bridge-based machine (Dedicated)

+Intel Xeon E3-1270 processor (four physical 3.4ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo->3.8ghz)
+16 GB DDR3-1333 ECC memory
+1000 GB, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
+10000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth

or Twelve core: Our current top plan (vds)

+Twelve full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
+12288 MB of RAM
+1000 GB of RAID-protected storage
+12000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

Considering my aims. Thanks.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Also what are the advantage of a VDS over a Dedicated? (i know that i have full control over the dedicated.)
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Random wrote:Also what are the advantage of a VDS over a Dedicated? (i know that i have full control over the dedicated.)
With VDS there is room for growth, you can easily upgrade your ram/cores, where on a dedicated server you are pretty much stuck with the equipment you rent and not as easy to request ram/cpu upgrades.

With VDS you won't have to pay the installation fee, with a dedicated you have to.
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Im scare to go for a vds/vps because you have to deal with your others vds/vps fellow do. They can run some Third-Party Programs that make conflict with the network. I don't want to have those conflicts or any kind of problem at all. I just want to find a host where i pay for a entire year knowing that i wont have to move from it again. Hope i can find it. Just one problem always make me move, i hate to deal with those problems and i prefer to move trying to finding the best hosting place.

Btw, almost in all host where i was, when i had conectivity and latency problems, they always blame my softwares instead their networks, which is ridiculous because those software are tested and run properly. And are tested with 7000 people online on it. So i really hate when they clean up their hands saying me that.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

VDS's are totally independent from one another. With NFO the vds hardware is dedicated for each user. For example if you rent a 12-core vds, nobody else on the machine can use your cores. Same with memory and HDD space, it is all yours and not oversold/shared. The 1Gbps port on a system for vds's is likely almost never used up. I assume most users on a vds system are using it for game servers, which doesn't take much bandwidth at all. Using all of my E3-1270 machine we peak at only 50Mb/s(usually at 40Mb/s).

I would also not recommend paying for an entire year if you do not know if you will be happy with the host. You can change your payment terms later on if you are happy with the host after the first month.
Not a NFO employee
Minecraft2207
A regular
A regular

Post by Minecraft2207 »

Ya, my problems is the licenses i cannot be changin host to host since its really expensive for me. Im reviewing some options this month, the next month i will go on for the one which provide me the best performance and security for my aims (south america users). I can expend over 200$ to 250$ in a dedicated or vps, my business is rentable. So its not a problem, but i want provide my customers a better service with the lowest latency and the highest security. And without any problems, because problems make me lose customers and customers worth more than 200$ per month.