How Many Players Can connect in 6 core and 4 core servers

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
skaran92
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How Many Players Can connect in 6 core and 4 core servers

Post by skaran92 »

Like i have a mind to rent a VDS of 6/4 core i want to run Team Fortress 2 on my VDS so how many a VDS of 6/4 core can accommodate players
no one in suport is willing to tell me
Image\

Please add me on steam
BrendanG
Staff
Staff

Re: How Many Players Can connect in 6 core and 4 core server

Post by BrendanG »

skaran92 wrote:Like i have a mind to rent a VDS of 6/4 core i want to run Team Fortress 2 on my VDS so how many a VDS of 6/4 core can accommodate players
no one in suport is willing to tell me

Skaran92: As I stated in our support request system we cannot accurately give you a player amount for servers that may be running a ton of mods and making a 4 core VDS run out of resources before a 4 core VDS running 6 servers does. There is no way to accurately "guess" at a numeric value like that. It has everything to do with mods being run, how busy the server is, what maps your running, and so on to figure out what a VDS will be able to handle. Then from there you may have 2 identical servers and one may still use more resources than the other. There is too many unknown to be anywhere near accurate.

I am very sorry to see you are dissatisfied with my response, but it is the most accurate one I can offer.

If we can help further either here on the forums, or in your open support request. Just let us know. If not have a great day :D
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: How Many Players Can connect in 6 core and 4 core server

Post by soja »

Depending on the CPU your vds is on, you can generally get 1 full 32 player server per core. TF2 is mainly single threaded and I have done extensive testing involving TF2 servers on the VDS's here at NFO.

My testing has resulted in the following(regarding TF2):

Go for managed, NFO has tweaked the OS's to run on xen very well and this will give you the best performance.

A "normal" TF2 server(on a valve map running stock respawns) will use around 50% of a CPU core on the high end vds machines here.

A "sandbox" TF2 server(maps with fast respawn/1 fight area like sd_doomsday) will use up to 70% of a CPU core on a high end vds machine.

This is all done with rate settings tweaked to use the most of the hardware to deliver the best gaming experience possible. (our settings raise CPU usage).

Maps with moving vehicles(such as balloon race or the payload carts) use quite a bit of CPU, and full plr/custom maps servers that use these moving vehicles will use around 100% of a CPU core.

All of these tests were run on managed Linux.

If you have any more questions such as the settings I used or my testing methodology please ask away :)
Not a NFO employee