Unmanaged VDS help

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
tonytango
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Unmanaged VDS help

Post by tonytango »

Hi , i have recently rented an unmanaged vds with windows 2008 r2 server and i have upload all of the game/server files to the server and i cannot seem to start the server via .bat file.

The game / server files i have installed is for an old game called "Land Of The Dead:Road To Fiddlers Green" and it's based on unreal tournament 2004 engine.

When i click to start the .bat file... the command screen appears and freezes.

i am thinking that because the game is old and requires windows 98/me/xp to run the game... it might be incompatible for windows 2008 r2 server.. i have changed the ucc.exe (server exe) file to run in compatability for windows 98/me and still no luck...

could any of you lovely people help me with this problem please

this is what i have in my .bat file

UCC server ?Game=BladeIN_V12.BladeCTF?TimeLimit=30?EnemyStrength=1?FriendlyFire=True INI=server.ini LOG=server.log port=xxxx multihome=xx.xxx.xx.xxx

i have edited out the port and ip address with x's :)

Tony
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Unmanaged VDS help

Post by TacTicToe »

No real need to censor your IP/Port, as that is pretty much public info when your server is online. Only thing you should censor are admin passwords.

Do you have any logs that could indicate a problem? Try adding the command "pause", without the quotes after your command line. That way the screen will pause after it crashes, and you'll be able to see in the DOS window what is going on.

I have very old games running on our server, with no issues at all. Enemy Territory, Chaser, to name a couple. I doubt the OS is the problem. If anything, you may be missing some older dependencies that you will need to install.
tonytango
New to forums
New to forums

Post by tonytango »

TacTicToe wrote:
Do you have any logs that could indicate a problem? Try adding the command "pause", without the quotes after your command line. That way the screen will pause after it crashes, and you'll be able to see in the DOS window what is going on.
It's crashing while loading ucc.exe and it just freezes at that point before it executes the rest of the command line. There aren't any logs created as it isn't executing ucc.exe correctly even though the command line is correct.

i think i could be missing dependencies but i don't know which ones until i see the log.

I know that other people are unable to host "land of the dead" servers using windows 7 / vista as there are incompatability issues... i just need to find a way around it.
Tony
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Is this a F2P game? If so, can you post a link to the server software and I will give it a go. My VDS is running Win 2008 R2 as well. I have some experience running Unreal servers as well.

Did you see anything in the Windows error log?

Click START, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, Windows Logs, Application. There will probably be info there for your problem. Look for the red error icon that goes with that server. Open it, and the window should reveal your problem.

It might have been a good idea to install Win 2003 for your servers OS.
tonytango
New to forums
New to forums

Post by tonytango »

TacTicToe wrote: It might have been a good idea to install Win 2003 for your servers OS.
That's what i have just done :D

I have opted to install windows 2003 as it is loosely based on windows xp... i should have done that in the first place lol.

thankyou for your help :)

Tony
tonytango
New to forums
New to forums

Post by tonytango »

Sorry for double posting but i couldn't edit.

Just for reference for anyone who needs help along the same lines.... with older games (98 , me , 2000, xp) that are not supported by vista or windows 7... windows 2003 x64 will do the trick... i have just tested mine and it works wonders... so the problem was a compatibility issue :)

Thanks again for the help

Tony
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Another thing worth trying would be turning off DEP in the later OS. It is possible that it defaults to a more restrictive mode in Win2k8+.