Problem with getting Java onto a VDS I own via Nfo

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Sunday
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Problem with getting Java onto a VDS I own via Nfo

Post by Sunday »

I currently own a VDS/VDM with NFO, and i plan on using it to host a Tekkit server, which if you know anything about minecraft, run off of java. So far i have tried 2 or 3 different sites and tutorials on how to install java, and so far each one hasnt gotten me anywhere but more frustrasted.

I used the NFO tutorial, no luck, brought it up with support and no luck. So far everything I've tried hasn't even come close to working. My system is Linux Ubuntu 13.04 x64

Can i get some help? Some actual help for once? I've had great experiences in the past with NFO but this one is discouragingly frustrating :|
evil_master
A regular
A regular

Re: Problem with getting Java onto a VDS I own via Nfo

Post by evil_master »

can you provide more details on what you have tried so I don't give you info that you have already attempted? are you installing the sun solaris version of java?
Sunday
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sunday »

No, I need Java 7. I believe its JDK? I'm running off of Ubuntu so I dont believe i need solaris.

As for what I've tried, I tried to get it via souurces.list like it said in the NFO turorial, no luck. I tried a couple other things, no luck. They assumed I was actually on a linux computer, not installing via FTP and SSH.

Any info you can give me, would be amazingly appreciated.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Did you try just using the open source one? It's easiest to install.

apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
Sunday
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sunday »

Actually feel free to lock/delete this. One of the workers that handles support was able to do it for me.

Thanks Andrew! :D
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Our policies do not actually allow us to offer direct software support or to log in and run commands for clients -- I want to clarify that here for anyone else who might read this.
Sunday
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sunday »

That may be, but Andrew was by far the most helpful person I spoke to the entire time. Very polite, and very helpful.

Also, not to be rude, but considering how many people use your VDS for minecraft servers, how come you dont support an extra java installation? In my mind it be as simple as the Web installers. Of course I dont have that kind of technical knowledge so i suppose there could be more to it.

Anyways thank you guys very much :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Sunday wrote:That may be, but Andrew was by far the most helpful person I spoke to the entire time. Very polite, and very helpful.
I realize that his extra support made the other support look inadequate by contrast. This is not a good thing. We need to be consistent and follow our policies.

He told me that he re-ran the command that I gave you.
Also, not to be rude, but considering how many people use your VDS for minecraft servers, how come you dont support an extra java installation?
With an unmanaged VDS, customers must be comfortable with administering the machine themselves. Installing Java is only one, very small step in creating and using a Minecraft server, and it's an important learning opportunity. We could include it in base installs by default, but there's not much advantage to doing that -- it might hurt the customer and us in the long run.

If someone is not good with using the Linux command line, and has difficulty picking up the basics, I really recommend that person either use Windows or sticking with managed services. Our prices for standard Minecraft servers from https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php?type=minecraft are less than a VDS, and their performance will exceed what a clinet would get from a VDS; they also come with our full control panel and tools.
Sunday
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sunday »

I know basic linux and I know how to run a minecraft server. Windows is a few dollars more expensive. I do not have that extra money. I will not be switching to a managed server. Far too restricted and it makes it harder to run a modded server like Tekkit.

I have been helping to run minecraft servers for a year, in different capacities, 1 owning and another 2 managing tech. Although that may not seem like much, I do know what I am doing. Java is my problem. It is the one program that has always given me problems, even on windows, even on my own computer, and other computers I've helped set up for family.

And he did not make your other service look inadequate. He was, to me, simply the one who helped me the most. I ran the command you gave me, so he may have done the same, but it worked for him and not me.

Bottom line - You have a satisfied customer here :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I am glad that you're all set and I hope that everything's smooth from here on out.