VDS Internet connection stops sending/recieving

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
evil_master
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VDS Internet connection stops sending/recieving

Post by evil_master »

Hello, I have an 8-core VDS with nfo, and I get a weird problem, sometimes randomly, but the random times seem to have stopped, occasionally when connecting to FTP the VDS connection will stop sending/recieving. I originally thought this was due to Minecraft as there have been several reports of this happening with minecraft servers, but as my server gets no traffic, I do not believe this is the case.

I am running UGCC with the built-in FTP Client. The internet connection does not become disabled or limited, packets stop getting sent or recieved, its as if the box gets stuck sending a packet and refuses to do anything until it is done :/

Code: Select all

Xen Net Device Driver Properties

Check checksum on RX packets -> Disabled
Checksum Offload -> Enabled
Large Send Offload -> Disabled
Locall Administered Address -> Not Present
MTU -> 1500
Rx Interrupt Moderation (beta) -> Disabled
Scatter/Gather -> Enabled

Code: Select all

IPv4 Settings

Gateway 74.201.57.254
DNS1 8.8.8.8
DNS2 8.8.4.4
•Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes 
    ->•Append Parent suffixes on the primary DNS suffix

•Register this connection's addresses in DNS
•Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration

•Enable LMHOSTS lookup

NetBIOS
   ->•Default (obtain from DHCP server) Enabled because static IP
I am unsure on how to further troubleshoot this problem, if anyone knows of any programs to help me to troubleshoot this, I would be very appreciative.

When the internet connection cuts out, I am able to connect via VNC, but RDP times out, so my troubleshooting while this happens is limited to crappy 800*600, the problem will remain until I restart the VDS either from server control or from selecting restart in VNC itself.

any and all help is greatly appreciated. If you need any more info, feel free to ask.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: VDS Internet connection stops sending/recieving

Post by kraze »

You may try doing the first part listed in this guide.
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =47&t=8820

DO NOT do the second part unless you take a backup as there is a chance the VDS won't boot after the driver install.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
evil_master
A regular
A regular

Post by evil_master »

kraze wrote:You may try doing the first part listed in this guide.
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =47&t=8820

DO NOT do the second part unless you take a backup as there is a chance the VDS won't boot after the driver install.
I have already done the first part, however I had sto skip step 9 as no options are available that are even similar to that, is there any statistics on how often the updated drive breaks things? I have 40GB of important files and a mediocre internet connection, I have no easy way of backing up these files currently :/
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The driver update step pretty much always breaks standard Win2k8, but I have not seen it break Win2k8 R2. Still, because of the difficulty in recovering if it does break, I really, really recommend backing up at least the irreplaceable files first (you shouldn't need to back up easily-redownloaded things like base game files).
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If you want to back up your files to my vds, I currently have 140GB free on my C: drive that I will not be using in the near future. Please contact me on steam if you would like to proceed.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/soja992
Not a NFO employee
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Gotta be Xen. Have the same kind of issues with my 8 core. Its like it just stops talking to the internet. All my servers seem dead, TS3 and even RDP. Nothing connects. I can however connect via the VNC, which is just odd as hell. When I do, I see Firedaemon and everything running normally. Completely intermittent, no way to predict when/if it will happen. I just reboot my VDS, drop a few F bombs and go about my business. I just have WAY too much to backup and re-install the the R2 version.

Base game files are relatively easy, but there are alot of games that need the dependency files installed as well. Such as specific versions of .Net etc. By the time I have backed up all crucial files, wiped and re-installed all games, re-installed the OS, the anger and stress levels will have aged me immensely. If I am going to go thru all that trouble, then I will just go to my own dedicated box, that John is tempting me greatly with, the E3-1270v3 setup. If I have to go thru all that effort, I am going to make it worth it!

No more XEN!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

TacTicToe, yes, it's fundamentally a Xen problem. Thankfully, with a known fix!

A Xen update might theoretically help, as well, if they've changed the way this functionality works. If backing up files is too much of a burden, open a support request and I should be able to give it a try.