VDS Down 3'rd day out of 4 due to DDOS?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
wolfn00b
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: VDS Down 3'rd day out of 4 due to DDOS?

Post by wolfn00b »

joshh20 wrote:These attacks are unfortunately because I banned a player who was breaking rules on my server after he donated.
If you ban someone you should always give their money back. Otherwise they will reverse charges on PayPal or their credit card company and cost you extra money and time.

Your angry players probably don't have the bandwidth to mount this size of an attack. There are tricks to amplify a ddos attack, but they require more skill than your typical gamer can learn from an hour of googling "how to ddos someone".

Also they usually attack whoever banned them, not the server provider.

Gameservers/choopa had the same problem over the last couple months with massive network attacks and we came here to get away from it. Happens to lots of game server providers.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

ouch, sounds like a massive attack...
LEOcab
New to forums
New to forums

Post by LEOcab »

I was about to make a new thread but then I saw this. You guys do know there are various websites that launch DDoS attacks for like $5 a pop, right?

When I first heard of it I thought it was a joke, but then I got hit personally. As in, someone got a hold of my IP and blasted the crap out of my connection several times a week until I was forced to stop playing on that particular server (he ddosed me because the admin took my side even though he was a moderator; which also happens to be how he got my IP). The admin never believed me that his mod was ddosing me so access to /whois was never revoked.

A few weeks after those incidents someone gave me links to these websites. I was thinking it was some underground shit on Tor but no, they're there in plain sight for anyone to recruit their services. I won't say the wording they use to appear legit because I don't want more people knowing about them but I'll gladly give info to your moderators via private message, if you don't already know about those mother f'ing bastards.

I know for a fact the second I ban the wrong guy my server's done for. What should us small server owners do with this threat being so real?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If you are here at NFO you have some of the best protection I have seen available anywhere. You cannot buy a $5 tool to DDOS NFO servers. With automatic attack filtering, and location capacity up to 20Gbps in some locations, you either need to make your own botnet, or pay a premium to attack a NFO server.

Those people with their $5 tools join my servers thinking they are safe and I won't ban them because they have this ability to take down most servers. I put the ban hammer down on them and laugh at the email from NFO saying ddos attack filtered.
Not a NFO employee
LEOcab
New to forums
New to forums

Post by LEOcab »

soja wrote:If you are here at NFO you have some of the best protection I have seen available anywhere. You cannot buy a $5 tool to DDOS NFO servers. With automatic attack filtering, and location capacity up to 20Gbps in some locations, you either need to make your own botnet, or pay a premium to attack a NFO server.

Those people with their $5 tools join my servers thinking they are safe and I won't ban them because they have this ability to take down most servers. I put the ban hammer down on them and laugh at the email from NFO saying ddos attack filtered.
Well damn. That's a relief. Thank you! :D
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

I would suggest just putting up with. If you move to a different location that doesn't mean it's free from DDoS attacks. Our servers are in Chicago and they go down due to DDoS attacks like every 2-3 weeks.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Sim wrote:I would suggest just putting up with. If you move to a different location that doesn't mean it's free from DDoS attacks. Our servers are in Chicago and they go down due to DDoS attacks like every 2-3 weeks.
Compared to as often as someone doesn't like a decision you made, good enough for me :)

Personally, I have only had a hiccup in chicago in the past week, before that I don't recall going down from DDOS for months, with tons of player traffic.
Not a NFO employee