Website DEAD - Changed nothing... Support directed me here.

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
tr1age
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Website DEAD - Changed nothing... Support directed me here.

Post by tr1age »

I have not made any changes to UOAlive.com and all of a sudden it is completely broken I was told to post my issue here by support:
I would encourage you to post on our forums at www.nfoservers.com/forums and a community member, off duty support tech or even John, our CEO, would be able to reply with advice.
https://uoalive.com/forum/index.php

Code: Select all

Server Error
"continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in XenForo/Autoloader.php at line 119
include() in XenForo/Autoloader.php at line 119
XenForo_Autoloader->autoload()
spl_autoload_call() in XenForo/Visitor.php at line 520
XenForo_Visitor->setVisitorLanguage() in XenForo/Visitor.php at line 471
XenForo_Visitor::setup() in XenForo/Session.php at line 274
XenForo_Session::startPublicSession() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 293
XenForo_Controller->_setupSession() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 306
XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 350
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /usr/www/alttabme/uoalive/forum/index.php at line 13
That is the error log.
Did I get hacked?
Did php on the server update or change?
Any help is appreciated.
Can't seem to get much info from support on this. Usually it is really good. This time, not so much.

All I could find online with this error was "Downgrade PHP to 7.3 or less." so I am thinking maybe NFO did an upgrade on your end for the web host UOAlive is on? Is it possible if that is the case to downgrade it? Is there a way to check that?
What else might it be? :(

Thanks in advance.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Website DEAD - Changed nothing... Support directed me here.

Post by Naleksuh »

Hosted machines are currently running PHP 7.3 (mine runs 7.3.24 specifically) so any software which supports 7.3 should work.

However, I've looked into it and it seems like this change is actually made in 7.3, so you'd need to use 7.2.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to change the PHP version with NFo's managed webhosting. This is a fairly common offering elsewhere but they don't have it here, I don't know why.

You could either change your webhosting into an unmanaged VDS which would allow you to run your own web server including any version of PHP you want, or you could find a forum software which supports PHP 7.3. If you must use XenForo and that software doesn't have any versions which supports 7.3 (Any forum software worth its salt should, the EOL of PHP 7.2 was nine months ago), you could also edit the forum software's code to fix this error
tr1age
New to forums
New to forums

Post by tr1age »

Thank you so much for the reply.

So I have the exact same forum software/version/etc running on the exact same host over here:
http://forum.craftingworlds.com

So it is curious why all of a sudden (without any updates running, as they don't auto update xenforo)
It would just pick up and die on uoalive.com when the other forum is working without a hiccup.

If you have any ideas on how to resolve this to get it up and running again btw, I am all for it. I am willing to pay. I just need this back up and running at the very least so I can copy the data into a new place.

I am just perplexed, as I have tried all the steps you could think up:
Tried to update the current Xenforo software to the latest, ERRORS.
Tried to install a fresh install of Xenforo, ERRORS.
Checked the other install of Xenforo, running fine.

I just can't pinpoint where it just stopped working. Specially since they say PHP has not changed on the site so it has been running on 7.3 this entire time no issues.
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

If the other domain is on the same webhosting package (Both domains would show on the exact same Domains tab of your panel), the software versions host-side would all be exactly the same for both domains, so that is very strange for a specific domain to stop working while the other continues to run.

I'm not overly familiar with how XenForo handles modifications, do you have any kind of mod/plugins on one that you don't have on the other site by chance?

If your site sees a lot of traffic, or is indexed by Google, and you had an old version of XenForo running, it is certainly possible that someone tried to hack it as well. It definitely isn't unheard of to see that happen with forum software, though I generally see people attack phpBB.
tr1age
New to forums
New to forums

Post by tr1age »

Yes it is on the exact same hosting package. Same tab etc.

I tried reverting the site back a few days and it did nothing.

Also if someone attempted a hack the revert should have resolved it.

It’s really a very hard one to understand here. Pulling hairs out over this.

I turned off all plug-ins btw it’s quick to try that. And it still didn’t work.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

You may want to try finding your PHP details with phpinfo() and posting it here as this will give an information about the details with your specific hosting. I wouldn't recommend attempting to downgrade to PHP 7.2 via VDS though as it is EOL and is not considered secure. I'd likely either find a forum software which will support 7.3 or edit the software's code
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

I ended up working a bit with tr1age in a support request, just triple-checking everything we could on our side without digging into the software too much and we were able to make some headway by getting Apache to reload its config for the domain by adding a temporary subdomain.

Still trying to figure out specifically what happened, but progress is progress I reckon.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

By the error message I can tell what is happening is that the software is attempting to run PHP code which does not work on 7.3. I don't know what version of XenForo is using, or what XenForo's code is. I attempted to try this myself but unfortunately XenForo is paid software.

tr1age, at this point I would recommend doing updating XenForo to a version which can support PHP 7.3, or if none can, finding a different forum software. PHP 7.2 cannot be reverted to on managed webhosting. While you could in theory run it from an unmanaged VDS it is EOL software and already has several security vulnerabilities.

Another idea (less ideal but still possible) would be to simply edit the code to make it work with PHP 7.3.
tr1age
New to forums
New to forums

Post by tr1age »

I appreciate all the help. We got it working for now so now I need to archive this site because it is def depreciating software with php.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Seems to be working for me as well. I hope you're able to archive your site and possibly find a new software.