XenForo Forum Software

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
smeikle
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

XenForo Forum Software

Post by smeikle »

Does anyone here run XenForo on their shared webhosting, and if so, how well does it run performance wise?

I am looking to build the framework for a large scale project, but want to run it on a trial basis before going large scale (ie. dedicated machines). The forum will be a large part of the project and from my research, it is one of (if not THE) best out there.

Any comments about performance as well as experiences with Xenforo will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: XenForo Forum Software

Post by soja »

Are you looking for software performance, or the performance of NFOs web hosting?
Not a NFO employee
smeikle
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by smeikle »

I already know the performance of NFO is top of the line, I was inquiring as to how well this particular piece of software works on NFO's shared hosting plan if anyone has tried it yet.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I have seen many customers running this. Some have seen a quirk in it that causes certain pages to not work, though -- to use it, you may need to disable its APC caching support in library/config.php by adding this line:

ini_set('apc.cache_by_default', false);

.. or by using a finer-grained solution with apc.filter, just blocking scripts that cause you problems.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Ran my test site on NFo shared, it was fine for the test.

I have my own VDS server for the forums these days since my server is heavily customized.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

What do you use for the application stack? I use cpanel but I am finding it is heavily customized and not easy to modify things like apache mods or php extensions :/

Linux or windows?
Not a NFO employee
Speced
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Speced »

I recently moved to Xenforo for my community site, and it runs great on NFO's lite webhosting.
SG-Servers.com
#RIPSingleCoreWindows
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

I run MariaDB & APC and I also use a CDN server for the js/images.
For most, the NFo hosting should be optimal.
I still hope that NFo will finally incorporate an option in their control panel to manually backup the whole site/db and easily restore things like you have on cPanel. Of course this can be done easily via SSH.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Yeah I recently made a database and web root backup script that uses cron to run. Daily for databases, and every other day for web files. I also sync it across our 2 other VDS in Chicago and LA after all that is done, so I have 3 copies at any one time :)

Will also make a small script that deletes files over a week old.
Not a NFO employee
smeikle
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by smeikle »

Thank you all for your responses. Once it goes live, I do believe I will be bringing it over!